Smoothie Mania: 5 Healthy Smoothie Recipes

All of these smoothies are delicious and healthy.

33
Tidal Creek

It’s smoothie mania here at Colby! In all my morning classes people are always drinking smoothies, and my bathroom is constantly crowded with people cleaning their smoothie cups. Due to the smoothie craze, I thought it would be fun to try out some smoothie recipes of my own. Here are five healthy smoothie recipes to try this spring!

1. The Tropical Strawberry

This smoothie is so simple to make and can easily be created in Dana or Bobs. I don’t usually like the taste of coconut, but in this case, it added a nice touch of sweetness to the smoothie. The recipe calls for eight strawberries, ½ cup of plain yogurt, and a ½ cup of coconut shreds. Pro tip: You can find shredded coconut next to the ice cream in the dinning hall.

2. Bananarama

This peanut butter based smoothie is packed with protein, but tastes like a dessert. The peanut butter creates a thick base, so that this smoothie seems almost like a milkshake. The recipe calls for two sliced bananas, two cups of milk, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and two cups of ice. Pro tip: Make this one in Bobs because the bananas are far superior in Bobs than in Dana.

3. Green Day

I admit I was hesitant to try this smoothie. A smoothie that combines spinach and banana just seemed weird to me. However, I love bananas and spinach is OK, so I decided to try this concoction. I was pleasantly surprised. This recipe calls for one sliced banana, one cup of milk, two large handfuls of spinach. Pro tip: Add a bit of honey to make this smoothie sweeter. The honey pairs surprisingly well with the spinach.

4. Blue Magic

This smoothie is truly magical. The combination of the blueberries and coconut is amazing. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of yogurt, and 1/2 cup of coconut shreds. Pro tip: You can add chia seeds to make this smoothie more of a meal. Chia seeds are loaded with nutrients and can have great health benefits. Bob's has chia seeds near the salad bar, so it is easy to add them to your morning smoothie.

5. Sunset Orange

This smoothie’s recipe calls for one red bell pepper, one peeled orange, one tablespoon of coconut oil, and one cup of yogurt. I know this looks like a very strange recipe. When I first saw this recipe I thought to myself, a bell pepper and an orange should not be mixed into the same drink. However, this smoothie is actually rather delicious. The orange overpowers the bell pepper so you don’t even realize that you are drinking vegetables. Even though you cannot taste the bell pepper, it is a crucial ingredient in the smoothie because it provides important nutrients. Pro tip: You can add cayenne pepper to give this smoothie a kick. I personally love spicy food, so the cayenne pepper was a welcome addition to my morning smoothie.

All of these smoothies are delicious and healthy. They provide the proper nutrients for breakfast or an after practice snack. Pro tip: You can also use the blender to make milkshakes. Just add two scoops of your favorite ice cream flavor and 1/3 cup of milk into your smoothie cup and make a Dairy Queen-quality milkshake right here at Colby.