Small Business Saturday: Reasons You Should Shop Small

Support your local businesses this small business Saturday and every day.

30
Alpin Haus

As consumers, we need to be giving more recognition and support to the small businesses in our communities and here's why: The dream, the experience, and the contributions.

THE DREAM

Dream - the word either scares you or motivates you. Big or small, every dream begins with an idea. Soon the idea becomes a plan. It's when you start turning those plans into actions that your dream becomes a reality.

The same goes for every business. It was someone's dream to start it. They turned that idea into a plan and started to turn those plans into actions. They work their a**es off to get their feet off the ground. They took a chance. They dream big, but start small. Look at companies like Apple, Amazon, and The Walt Disney Co.; they all started practically out of a garage.

So why should you support the dreamers? They are the doers. They are the strength and the motivators in our economy. When you go into a small or local business, ask about their story. Learn about how they started or who's idea it was. Ask why they are doing what they're doing.

If you can't purchase any of their goods or services, help to get the word out. You'll be supporting someone's dream. You will be helping to keep that dream alive.

THE EXPERIENCE

Whether you’re a customer or an employee, you can bet your experience with a small business will be a unique one.

As the granddaughter of a dreamer, I experienced first hand what it was like to grow up in a small business. My family wasn't just blood - it was everyone who was employed under the direction of my Grandpa. I spent countless hours as a child patiently waiting for my Dad to finish up work so I could go home. I roamed around the business and interacted with other employees. My brother and I soon started to beg to work there after witnessing what kind of environment it was.

Small businesses don't employ workers to run through procedures from 8-5 to just to drive revenue. They hire a team to give their customers an experience they'll never forget - even if that means staying an hour past closing time to help the customer pick out exactly what they want. They stay connected with their customers, remember their names, or what their "usual" is. You're treated as family and friends - not as just another customer.

When you shop small - you gain. You gain an experience you'll never forget. You'll not only remember that you were supporting someone's dream, but you'll most likely remember who helped you out, you'll know something about their life, you may even gain a friend.

THE CONTRIBUTIONS

When you support a small business, you're also contributing to the community. You'll find that small businesses are more supportive of local organizations and charities like sponsoring a 5K race, donating baskets for an auction, or holding a fundraiser. They help bring the entire community together. They're willing to help out as much as they can. They give back.

When you shop at a small business you aren't just helping that business or supporting someone's dream - you are helping their community. Small business's keep the community connected, they help the community thrive, they give opportunities to those searching for jobs, and you can even bet the CEO will be walking around the sales floor or at the event they sponsor.

I'm lucky and fortunate to have had the experience of being a part of a small business. I've become understanding of the fact that success comes from hard work, persistence, taking care of others, and teamwork. That treating customers as family and friends is more important than just making the money.

I'm in no way suggesting you stop supporting larger chains and company's; they too had to start small. But be the person who chooses to go to a small business to help them to someday be that larger company. Help them build up their customer database and spread the word. While traveling, give your business to family restaurants and stores. Write a good review for them on Facebook or post a picture. Recommend them to all of your friends. Or better yet, go to work for a small business.

When you give business to a dreamer, you get an amazing experience while contributing to the well being of the community. How does it get better than that?

I'm proud to the granddaughter of a dreamer. I'm proud to be the daughter of an excellent team leader and businessman. I'm lucky and thankful to have been an employee of a small business. I learned at a young age that your dream is never too far away if you work hard toward making it a reality. I learned how to give back to others in a unique way.

Shout out to my Grandpa, my Dad, and all of the other dreamers out there who give their employees, customers, and their community these amazing opportunities, experiences, and memories.