Slam Poetry: an Untold Beauty Part 1

Slam Poetry: an Untold Beauty Part 1

Rudy Francisco reminds us of the simple things in life through his poetry.
242

Slam poetry is a very underrated skill and form of expression. For me, poetry has gotten me through some of the hardest parts of my life. I am so thankful for the words and metaphors that every poet brings to the table.

So, today I am starting a small series called "Slam Poetry: an Untold Beauty."

Today, I will start with Rudy Francisco. Here are twenty quotes that are giving me life.

1. "I'm often loud where I should be quiet, I'm often quiet where I should be loud"

Oh wow.....this is so accurate. I tend to be quiet when I need help because I want to be independent. But I am loud when I want to help others, because only then am I helpful.

2."I've never been in the military but I have this purple heart. I got it for beating myself up over things I can't fix"

I would consider myself a non-fighter, but I fight myself so much that I cause my own bruises. This quote is actually one of my favorites.

3. "I have solar power confidence, I have a battery operated smile"

Hello depression, my only friend sometimes.

4. "My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadow that I am someone worth following"

I tend to use jokes, metaphors, and compliments to get the spotlight off me and how I am feeling. As much as I love being the center of attention for speeches and theater, when it comes to the real me, I prefer to be a stage hand.

5. "I know God listens to my heart beat on his iPod, and it reminds Him that we still have work to do"

PRAISE!!!

6. "Most people don't realize that tragedy and silence have the same address"

When my dad passed, I grew quiet. I am still quiet a lot of the time but it's because tragedy is my roommate.

7. "It doesn't matter if the cup is half full or half empty, there's water in the cup. Drink that shit and stop complaining"

Something about the bluntness of this just breaks my heart. I have grown up being told to appreciate the things I have and now more than ever I am realizing how blessed I truly am.

8. "You are still alive, act like it"

As someone who struggles with suicidal thoughts and depression, this has become a daily quote.

9. "The woman that I plan to marry will have champagne in her walk and I will get drunk off her footsteps"

As someone who wants to get married and have a husband and children, I hope that he will look at me this way.

10." Ten, I hate you. Ten, but I still love you"

11. "I heard that love was blind so I write all my poems in braille"

I hope I find someone who makes me want to learn braille. I just adore this line.

12. " I was told that time would heal all wounds, but what exactly do you do on days when it feels like the hands of your clock have arthritis"

When my engagement failed, I felt like I would never heal. Yes, there are days I still don't feel healed but I know I am better than I was.

13. "I know you like writing poetry, but you can't bring a metaphor to a gun fight"

As a poet, I wish I could fix everything with a line or a metaphor but I can't.

14. "You are a sentence with no punctuation"

Your story isn't over yet and that is damn beautiful.

15. " Getting out of bed is a magic trick and I am probably the worst magician I know"

Depression is a struggle every day, even before I open my eyes. Sometimes it takes every piece of my strong self to stand up on my feet and sit in the shower.

16. "I know that we carry guitar cases full of phobias hoping we can turn fear into our strongest instrument"

As a musician, I am always looking for ways to make my emotions and fears come out into song. Sometimes it is easier than others, but I never forget that my voice and my instruments carry my life with them as well.

17. "Sexism is a family heirloom we have been passing down for generations"

As a female, I have experienced sexism almost everywhere I go. For my university, I am in charge of Woman's History month and during it, I always have a throw to men as well to remind them why women are important.

18. "Racism is the drunk guy at the party that wants to fight everyone"

As my black friends would say "PREACH GIRL! COME ON!"

19. "Being black is one of the most extreme sports in America. We don't need to invent new ways of risking our lives because the old ones have been working for decades"

I read this to a black friend of mine and she was shook. She stated, "This is so accurate. No one really understands that every day you get up and it's a sport to be yourself." And then I was shook.

20. "Two men can have a conversation with each other and say absolutely nothing."

I think a lot of the time we are so focused on women feeling good that we forget men need love too.