22 Abilities And Skills Every College Student Should Master BEFORE They Graduate, Or Be Blindsided By Life

Little embarrassed and a lot flustered, I was able to figure out these tough or completely simple tasks.

525
Cole Keister on Unsplash

As a 21-year-old college student, I've found myself stuck multiple times over the past four years not knowing how to do a certain task or handle a certain situation because I was a first-timer. A little embarrassed and a lot flustered, I was able to figure out those tough or completely simple tasks/encounters through experience and advice given by others.

However, along the way, I've also found myself often totally taken aback by how little most college students know about the ways of life beyond just being a student. I've found myself struggling with every single one of these tasks, and today I find myself better for it. Through experience, I believe every college student should know how to do these 22 things by the time they graduate and are out on their own:

1. How To Write A Check

Seriously, this is imperative. You're gonna have to pay for your own things at places/for services that don't take checks, cash, or cards. Whether it be rent, haircuts, etc, knowing what to write in the "PAY TO THE ORDER OF" and the "FOR" line is a significant step into adulthood.

2. How To Change Your Windshield Wipers

Unfortunately, Dad isn't gonna be there to fix our cars at all times, and home-made string wipers won't work for the average college student for too long. Knowing how to utilize the J-Hook will go a long way.

3. How To Unclog Your Kitchen/Bathroom Sink

Similar to this guy, plumbing issues aren’t so sexy and we end up falling into a deeper hole than we signed up for if the issue isn’t addressed immediately. And sadly, Draino isn’t always the answer. So for this one, it’s valuable to learn how to take the pipes apart under your sinks when you need to attack the root of the problem. It’s nasty but it usually works when you start from the source.

4. How To Get Rid Of Your Roach Problem

Aw yes, it’s true. Sometimes the nightmare does come to life. And when you find yourself in the middle of it, you probably won’t know where to start because surface cleaning just doesn’t cut it this time. You’ll need to deep clean like you’ve never done before in order to identify where the other form of life has been thriving. And when you discover it, you’ll probably feel the need to call a professional to confirm that what you’ve been doing is actually helping fight off the invasion. After the professional confirms your success, you might find yourself a little extra paranoid and end up spraying your entire apartment with that bug spray you ordered off of Amazon. In this case, being a little anal may not be such a bad thing. From experience, I recommend all of these things as solutions.

5. How To Use Microsoft Excel To Your Benefit

The beloved Excel. Most people either love it or hate it. I used to be a hater, but that’s because I didn’t know how to use it to my advantage. Ever since I found myself trying to plan the rest of my life out in an organized way, I’ve fallen in love with how Excel lays my life out for me. It’s a tool that everyone should know how to use whether that be making lists, tables, or graphs. Excel is a lifesaver.

6. How To Make It Through A Completely Awkward and Unexpected Social Encounter

Hiding isn't an answer. Sometimes you gotta look someone in the eye and be confident enough in yourself to make it through that 30-second interaction. It's never fun, but I believe that everyone is capable of being a decent human and doing the right thing.

7. How To Read A Lease Agreement

Oh, I know. The small print is absolutely no fun to read and it feels like an eternity, but understanding what you're signing is very important since your binding yourself to a new situation in some way or another. You don't wanna realize later that you're trapped in a situation that you can't get out of.

8. How To Create Relationships With Adults That Matter

College is all about maturing and becoming a better version of yourself. And a lot of us owe that to the adults in our lives that helped us along the way. If we don’t find value in that now, then it’s going to become a heck of a lot harder to bond with adults when we actually are one out in the world on our own after we graduate.

9. How To Change A Tire

I wish it was this easy, folks. It’s so crucial to know where your spare and repair kit is located in your car. You never know when you’re gonna end up on the side of the road with a carload of people. Get your dad to show this now if you’ve never learned! Trust me.

10. How To Write A Professional Email

It’s nerve-racking to send an email to someone who seems so far above you in the professional world. So being able to convey your personality and professionalism in an e-mail is a very important skill. This one just comes from practice and trusting your gut.

11. How To Know When To Call It

Whatever it be (an overload of classes, a relationship that isn't working out, a trip you know has to wait, etc.), if it seems way past saving, then we need to learn how and when to let it go. College is such a great place to acquire this quality because things will occur that will make us question if it’s of any value to keep busting our butts over. Sometimes we’ll make mistakes and figure out later what we should’ve done, but in these four short years learning to gauge when to let things go or not is a significant skill to obtain.

12. How To Get Through A Group Project

Group projects are one of the many things that will continue after we graduate. So being able to work well in a group setting is essential. Although many people don't prefer group projects, teamwork really does build a foundation of strengths that we can use in the future but only if we let it.

13. How To Get Involved In A New Community

Sitting at home and crying is probably acceptable the first couple of days you're in a new place. But once your stay has surpassed that, then it's time to try a new strategy. You've done this once before, and although it's may not be as easy to get involved as it was at the university, you've still got to keep trying until you get it right. You're perfectly capable.

14. How To Not Be Shy About Asking Questions In Classes/Meetings

If you're like me, by your fourth year, you've learned the importance of just being upfront and real when you don't understand something. After all, part of becoming an adult is learning new things, and how do you learn if you keep yourself from it by being too scared to ask questions?

16. How To Be Confident, Professional, And Kind When You Make Phone Calls

Sometimes I do feel like a little kid on the other end of the line because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Like I'm just playing the part but am still ten years old. But if we're gonna succeed, we must know how to communicate like a decent and understandable human over the phone.

17. How To Get Someone's Number And Vice Versa

If you like someone, give them your number. If you need help in a big lecture class, exchange numbers with another student who you think can help you and vice versa. It's not weird unless you make it weird. Take the chance.

18. How To Expand Your Social Network (Professionally, Academically, or Socially)

This one can apply to so many aspects of your life. Just knowing how to present yourself in different settings is key. Don't be childish like this guy and base all of your relationships off of social media. The world is so much bigger than that.

19. How To Admit When You're Wrong

This one is a hard one. None of us ever like to admit when we're wrong. But if we face it with grace and humility, then there's nothing to be ashamed of. It's when we hold on to our pride that things get messy. So being able to grasp this concept early in life will go far as we grow older because it will most likely save us from losing something of value in the future.

20. How To Decently Manage Your Time

If only we could put all our duties on our dogs. Time management is another skill that we all will probably struggle with for the rest of our lives. It's difficult choosing between organizations, social events, church events, work, etc. But if we are able to experiment a little with our agendas in college when we have more free time, chances are we'll form a foundation for the future.

21. How To Appropriately Mingle

Parties, interviews, office hours, (etc.). They all require our ability to engage socially. So being able to successfully make your way through these situations and thrive, nevertheless, is essential to building important connections.

22. How To Cook A Decent Meal

We've all burned and failed in the kitchen. But if we want to be able to enjoy a meal at home with our loved ones, we may want to share our favorite dish with them. This one goes a long way in the hearts of others. Try out a new recipe!