Sixteen Things I Wish I Knew At Sixteen

Sixteen Things I Wish I Knew At Sixteen

"Gonna spread my wings, sweet sixteen."

12
Sixteen Things I Wish I Knew At Sixteen
My photo

Growing up is a lot like riding in an airplane - you have your ups, your downs, your turbulence and your freedom to move about the cabin.

Here's sixteen things I wish I had known (realized/listened to/understood) at sixteen:

1. Your parents are your parents, not your best friends.

I think I struggled with my parents being more strict than my friends' parents were because I wanted to be able to stay out until whatever time or spend the night at whomever's house. But looking back, I realize that my 12 o'clock curfew meant they cared about my whereabouts and wanted to know what I was doing to ensure I was safe.

2. If chocolate can't solve it, a nap can.

A lot of your troubles when you're sixteen include being stressed over school, boys, and being a "cool" kid. Eat some chocolate, take a nap, then handle it. Seriously. Works every time.

3. Cake face ain't cute.

Does this one really need an explanation?

4. Friends will come and go out of your life.

...but the ones who are most necessary will always find their way back in. When a friend walks out, don't get upset. Just breathe and remember there is a reason behind it.

5. STUDY.

Study like you mean it. Live and breathe studying because good God if you don't learn how to now, you're so screwed, man.

6. School lunch is one free (to you) meal a day.

Fucking enjoy that shit and don't you dare ever take it for granted.

7. All boys are stupid.

You've probably already figured this one out but it doesn't hurt to beat it into your head a little bit more.

8. Math class.

No, you won't ever need to figure out how to find the hippopotamus of a triangle in the real world (or at least I haven't yet), but please understand that 1/3 of a cup is bigger than 1/4 of a cup.

9. TAKE THE HOME EC CLASSES/FINANCING AND ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF THEM.

You don't learn a lot of "adulting" skills in high school, but there are a lot offered and it's up to you to take advantage of them. Seriously - I know how to make cinnamon rolls from scratch, sew a button back on (with the right tools), wash dishes, half of parenting and knew how to write a check and balance a check book before my senior year.

10. Listen to your teachers.

What may just sound like a lecture straight out of a lesson plan, may actually have a hidden meaning. Listen to what they are saying, ask questions, get to know them. They may be old, but they are wise.

11. PE is a joke.

A joke that is a nice relief from the history lessons and math problems.

12. Practice safe sex.

Obviously abstinence just isn't going to happen for the majority of highschoolers, so at least be safe about it. (please if that's the only part of this you listen to then that's perfectly okay).

13. Try a new sport or activity.

Even if it's something you think you'd be awful at, try it. If you have interest in it at least say you gave it an honest shot. There are tons of activities, clubs, and sports offered so it's not like your options are limited. You never know, you might meet your forever best friend in one.

14. Always tell the truth.

This seems so elementary, but tell the truth. Always. It's better to have your friend upset at you for you telling them their outfit is hideous than for them to be humiliated by the entire school. Just be honest with people, say it how it is, and don't be sorry for it.

15. Underage drinking.

If you're going to drink while you're in high school (which I am strongly against and will be forever - not sorry), be safe about it. Don't flaunt it all over your social media (byebye sports), don't "gravel travel", and make sure you're familiar with where you are and the people you're with.

16. Remember not every day is promised.

At some point, you won't be walking this Earth anymore - and none of us have any idea of when that will be. Don't waste away days feeling sorry for yourself or wishing you were dead. Make the most out of what you have, love hard and laugh often.