Six Things Nationers Are Tired of Hearing

80

Villanova is typically defined as a private, Augustinian Catholic university that is tucked in the midst of Main Line, Pennsylvania. Before attending Villanova, I was told that the school had a reputation for being full of rich private school kids with no manners. Half of that may be true, but every Nationer knows that the true sign of being a Villanova student is holding the door open for others—always. We have great manners.    

Soon after becoming a student at Villanova, I learned that our school is so much more than that. This summer in particular, I’ve come to realize how deep my roots to Villanova really are. After spending the past three years in a place that has become my second home, I’ve realized that other places don’t give me that same community feel that everyone talks about. I mostly realize this when people that I meet for the first time ask me where I go to school. I’ve gotten a mix of responses when I answer proudly with “Villanova,” but these six really seemed to stand out to me.     

1. I bet you like basketball. You bet right, sir. Granted, Villanova is most often associated with men’s basketball no matter who is talking about it. This statement is almost certainly followed up with a somewhat awkward “what a season, huh?” or “how about that Jay Wright?” or “I bet the games are freaking awesome.” You’re right. They freaking are awesome. Also, yeah, Jay Wright is our suit-wearing Savior. 

2. Oh my gosh! My uncle’s son’s brother’s cousin goes there! Do you know him? His name is … You all know how this goes. A random relative or complete stranger tells you of someone they know by some obscure connection that goes to Nova and always ask if you know him or her. You never do. It’s a small school, and sometimes feels way too small, but it’s not THAT small. You usually answer this question by pretending that name sounds familiar so you don’t seem like a friendless loser.

3. Ha, “Villa-no-fun”. What, do you go to Penn State? Good for you, man. Villanova may not be like a state school with a fraternity and sorority row or more than two tailgates per year, but we DO know how to have a good time. Upon being asked this question, I usually get super defensive and respond with “Uh, no! Villa-SO-fun.” What dumb nicknames. It really is so fun, though. 

4. Wow you must be smart. Um, thanks? While this is often pretty awkward to hear, I’m proud of Nova’s stellar rep in the academic world. Because, like, that’s what college is about, right?

5. Doesn’t it cost $70,000 to go there? I mean… well yeah practically. This comment is usually just an exaggeration that makes us feel uncomfortable for going to such an expensive university.

6. Is it true everyone gets really dressed up to go to class there? Yes, this is a rumor someone asked me about our school. And yes, they are absolutely right. Wildcats are stylin’.   

These, among so many other Villanova stereotypes are things we will hear for the rest of our lives. Outside of the comforts of The Exchange and The Quad and in real life outside of the University's walls, this summer it is our jobs to proudly rep the Nation because we are obviously the most stylish, expensive, smart, FUN and athletic community and this is our home. #GOCATS