Six Things To Know About Thirteen Reasons Why

This contains some plot spoilers for those who haven't read the book, but I highly suggest you read this before you watch the show. There are some things everyone show take note of before watching it.

15

Recently, Netflix came out with a new show called Thirteen Reasons Why, which is based on the book by Jay Asher. Since its debut, it has become a very popular thing to watch. I actually watched the entire thing almost in a day. Thirteen Reasons Why is my favorite book, so when I heard it was going to put put on screen, I was thrilled. However, many of those watching have not read the book. Many have not even taken into1. consideration what the show really is about and what it entails. This is going to contain some plot spoilers (which won't been spoilers if you did read the book) so I will not reveal the names of the characters, but these are things that are important to know before watching the show, whether you read the book or not. I suggest you read this before you watch it.

1. TRIGGER WARNING: It is a book about suicide.

The book is about a girl named Hannah Baker who kills herself and leaves behind tapes for thirteen people to listen to as they were the reasons she committed suicide. There are some visions the main character Clay has of Hannah with bloodied wrists, but the most disturbing, graphic part of the entire show is the final episode. You know from the first episode that Hannah commits suicide. However, in the book she is said to have taken a handful of pills, while in the show, she slits her wrists. In the final episode of the season, it shows Hannah killing herself. It shows her getting into a bathtub, taking a razor blade to her wrist and slicing them open. It does not hide anything. It shows an immense amount of blood coming from her wrists and shows her laying there in the tub allowing the water to turn red. It shows her parents finding her. Personally, I am not good with blood. After watching this very graphic scene, I did not physically feel well. I was sick to my stomach for the rest of the day. Showing the scene is very powerful, but it could be a trigger or be something you may not want to watch if you are not okay with seeing blood.

2. TRIGGER WARNING: There are rape scenes.

One of the most important things to know or realize before you watch the show is that there are graphic scenes of sexual harm. Two girls are raped. This is said in the book, and it is shown in the movie. It shows a boy pulling down the girls' underwear (while one is unconscious and one is being held down) and him thrusting himself into them. It is very uncomfortable to watch, which is supposed to be the point, but it can be a trigger to some. Before the episodes where this is shown, in the beginning it does warn for graphic images.

3. The show is different than the book.

Perhaps the biggest thing to note is that the show is very different from the show. The show has a sub-plot, which involves the Baker's lawsuit against the school, students plotting to make sure no one hears the tapes and other additions or changes. Personally, I liked the book a lot better than the show. However, by creating a sub-plot, the show reveals how suicide can affect everyone. It goes into the lives of those on the tape a bit and creates new relationships between people that did not exist in the book. The show definetly adds more drama.

4. Selena Gomez is not in it.

I have heard so many people talking about how they cannot wait to see Selena Gomez in the show. Well, sorry to disappoint, but she is not a part of the cast. Instead, she was an executive producer.

5. It ends on a cliff hanger.

The book is very different from the movie, as previously stated. In the movie, one of the characters tries to kill themselves as well, and in the last episode, you do not find out if they survive or not. You also do not know what happens with a character who turns themselves in for something, with the Baker's lawsuit and some other things. This leaves room for a possible second season, which many of those a part of the first season said they are not opposed to.

6. It is serious.

This is one of the most serious series you may watch. The entire thing is about suicide, what words and actions can do to a person, what happens after suicide and more. This is not a show you are going to watch to laugh or because you are just bored and you guess you will watch this. No, this show and the book are about very serious, deep, dark topics. It has a very powerful message in it, and I would recommend it to anyone. However, you need to have a certain mind set to watch it. It is a serious topic and not something to poke fun at, especially due to how graphic the show really is.

Watch Thirteen Reasons Why, but be aware of these things before you do.