6 Satisfying Staycation Spots In Alabama

Venture in.

252
Cowbird

Have you ever been dying to just get out of the house but didn’t have the time or the money to just drop everything and go on a vacation? The idea of embarking on a “staycation” is becoming more and more popular. It allows you to partake in leisure activities within driving distance and then come home to your own bed at night. Various locations in Alabama are ideal for those who are seeking activity or relaxation while surrounded by breath-taking scenery.

These three spots are for those will not mind breaking a sweat in order to reach a great view:

1. Cheaha State Park

Take a trip to Cheaha State Park, located in Delta, Alabama. The highest point in Alabama can be found there. Hiking is required to reach the top of the 2,400-foot tall mountain. Cheaha Mountain is the foothill of the Appalachian Mountains. The park that holds the mountain also offers numerous cabins, campgrounds, and walking trails.

2. The Alabama Scenic River

The Alabama Scenic River Trail allows people to canoe, kayak, and motorboat through the Coosa, Cahaba, and Tennessee Rivers. According to the Encyclopedia of Alabama, it is the longest recreational water trail in any single state in the U.S. There are some portions of the trail that give a white-water rafting experience. But if you decide that part is not for you, you can simply choose to paddle along the calm waters.

3. Desoto Falls

Visiting Desoto Falls will allow you to enjoy one of the tallest and most visited waterfalls in the state of Alabama. The waterfall is 100-feet tall and is located in Mentone, Alabama. To view the waterfall up close, you can make your way down a set of concrete stairs. It is especially astounding to see during the winter months due to the water running high.

For those who just want to have the view right before your eyes upon your arrival, these next three stops are for you:

4. The Vulcan

The Vulcan Statue stands tall in Birmingham, Alabama. This 180-foot tall tower provides spectacular views of the Magic City from atop Red Mountain that gets even better when the sun sets. My family and I took a trip there and enjoyed the view and learned about the rich history behind the statue. Buzzfeed.com named Vulcan Park and Museum’s Fourth of July Fireworks the top thing to do in Birmingham.

5. The Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic

The Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic will be held on Memorial Day weekend this year in Decatur, Alabama. This event includes the sight of over sixty balloons being launched during the day time and that following night there will be a glow balloon show. Hot air balloon rides are offered if you would rather see the view from the sky instead of the ground! Live bands and vendor booths will also be there for your entertainment.

6. Bellingrath Gardens

Bellingrath Gardens and Home displays over sixty-five acres of floral scenery. An antebellum home is at the center of the estate and its elegant charm invites people to come inside and tour. Also found on the site is a café and gift shop. Bellingrath is also known for its extravagant Christmas lights during the holiday season which features over one thousand displays. You can find all of this in Theodore, Alabama.

An average family of four spends $4,500 for a get-away vacation. There are other options that will give you that same effect at not even a fraction of the cost. Take advantage of what Alabama the Beautiful has to offer and take a “staycation."