6 Life-Lessons Theatre Taught Me

6 Life-Lessons Theatre Taught Me

7 years pretending to be someone else taught me a heck of a lot about our world.

473
6 Life-Lessons Theatre Taught Me
Cara Boyer

When I was barely eleven, I joined a non-profit theatre organization that specialized in ministry. We spent weeks putting together musicals about the Bible and the inspirational people who served Christ. Seven years later we’re still reenacting Bible stories and spreading the Word of God to all who listen. Theatre is a beautiful art that is more than just sentences and song lyrics on a page. Art moves and inspires people, even the ones making it. Art impacts every aspect of life and here are six specific things I have learned that help me in the real world.

1. Pretending to be someone you’re not only blurs the line between reality and make believe

My main purpose in my theatre organization is to play other characters and act our their story, not mine. However, outside the rehearsal room, I still put on this mask. I still pretend to be someone else and it makes my true identity more of a mystery. I pretend to be more outgoing, more courageous, less asocial, and less sensitive. These attributes may be advantageous but they only confuse me more and more about who I a really am. Pretending to be someone I am not only blurs the lines between who I am and who I pretend to be.

2. When there’s a goal to reach, teamwork is the most effective way to get there

Theatre takes a lot of hard work and whether the job consists of set-building, prop assignment, or learning to block for a new scene, the more coordinated everyone is the smoother everything goes. Teamwork is the easiest way to get something done, no matter the task. Our own egos often get in the way of teamwork but at the end of the day, teamwork makes everything go a bit faster.

3. Having good friends makes everything much less awkward and a lot more fun

When you and your bestie are cast as male characters when you’re both actually females, having excellent chemistry and a great sense of humor makes the acting so much more fun. Wearing alpaca fiber beards is no fun when you have no one to laugh with. If you make excellent friends in life and work through life’s struggles with them, everything becomes a little more bearable.

4. In order to get anything done, it must be attacked with hard work and dedication

Everything worth accomplishing takes a lot of hard work and dedication. In theatre, this could be memorizing lines (which takes a heck of a lot of time), figuring out lighting, or directing. Either way, it takes a lot of time and ambition. Life isn’t a drive-through and nothing worth fighting for will happen immediately.

5. Change is terrifying but the adventure that comes with it will be completely worth it

The members of my theatre change constantly. Some leave for college, some pursue other adventures, and many join over time. These changes terrify me. My little bubble in all its beauty gets popped far too often and I don’t like the feeling. When someone new walks in the door, my heart races. In the end, however, the new person becomes a best friend and a valued member of the theatre. Change is extremely scary but everything that comes with it is worth while. Things like that happen for a reason and you’ll be better for it.

6. There are few things more important than group unity

Communication, as complicated and difficult as it can be, is absolutely essential. Nothing productive gets accomplished when everyone is doing their own thing. Being unified as a group, be it in school, friendships, relationships, or theaters is incredibly important. There are few things more essential than unity in a group situation.