Sisters Are Best Friends We Didn't Have To Choose

My sisters are my best friends, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My sisters are my best friends, and regardless of the typical sibling rivalry that goes on whether I'm home or on FaceTime, I am so lucky to have two incredible girls who look up to me and stand by my side through this journey we call life.

Having two younger sisters, one two years younger and one seven years younger, has always given me a sense of responsibility, both when it comes to myself and when it comes to them.

I see myself as a role model, one whose every action, every decision is watched and copied by my younger sisters. This has always made me strive to be the best version of myself so I can be the best role model to them.

The responsibility I feel to protect and support them, too, comes from this. Because I know how much they look up to me, I treat them with the same respect and am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure the best for them.

Anytime something happens that warrants reprimanding from my mom, somehow I’m to blame, even from hundreds of miles away. “Who just cursed down there, girls?” “It was Sophie, Mommy, we’re FaceTiming with her!!!” I’m fine with it, though. I’d rather take the heat than have them get in trouble.

Even when I’m in trouble, I'm not really in trouble. That’s another pro of being the oldest; I've been here the longest, so I'm automatically the favorite. In truth, first is never actually the worst.

In all seriousness, though, being the oldest means a lot falls on my shoulders. Whether it’s driving them around or getting crying phone calls to come home because one of them needs me, I almost feel like a mom sometimes.

Don’t get me wrong, my mom is the best, and she does everything she can for each of us, but there’s something different about a big sister; I can't discipline them, so I’m more of a best friend than a parent. It gives me purpose, but it’s also totally an added stressor.

However, I wouldn't change a single thing.

My closet is basically a clothing store according to my sisters. I can never find any of my clothes, and nothing makes them happier than when I leave my favorite jacket home after a break by accident.

Before I know it, I realize the something’s home when the first thing that pops up on my Instagram feed is a photo of my sister wearing it. I’ll leave you to figure out what happens next…

As annoying as it is to have to look through every closet in this house for twenty minutes before getting dressed in the morning, there’s nothing like waking up with one of them in my bed.

Having sisters is basically having a built-in sleepover, and there has never been a time where I've needed a hug or a cuddle and haven't gotten the warmest, coziest one.

My little sisters are my biggest fans but also my biggest critics. When I need honesty, I get honesty. When I need love and support, I get plenty of that too, and of course, I reciprocate it and then some. I don't know what I’d do without them.

Having sisters is great, but having two little sisters is even better. I’m biased and don't know it any other way, but being the oldest is definitely the best.

Being away from them for the past few months has certainly not been easy, but distance makes the hugs tighter, the laughs louder and every moment when I do come home that much more special.