To The Sister I Never Knew I Needed, Thank You

Growing up and becoming a young adult is hard, but sisters make it easier.

432

One of the things I am most grateful for in my life is my brother, he has become one of my favorite people and is growing up way too fast. Of course, I just have the one brother, but always wished I had a sister, the grass is always greener right? My friends who actually had sisters always told me it was awful, you don't want a sister, I'd rather have a brother.

All of that changed when I came to college. I was always on the fence about joining a sorority because of all the bad media surrounding the Greek community. I wanted to make new friends so I went for it, you're only in college once. It has honestly been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life and I am so grateful for every single opportunity I've had in my chapter.

But it didn't start off this way. When I first joined, I didn't think Greek life was something I would fit in to. I struggled with making friends at first because it's intimidating and you kind of just want to crawl under a rock. But that all changed when I met you.

At my first event for our chapter, I approached you because we had one of those weird connections where someone I knew, also knew you, so that meant we had to know each other. That five-second surge of confidence changed my entire world.

After weeks of hanging out and getting to know each other, we awkwardly told each other we wanted to be big and little. The night you became my big will always be one of my favorite sorority memories because now I was a part of the best family there is.

You were a constant support for me during my freshman year and made me feel like I always had someone to talk to, even when I felt like I didn't. We became so incredibly close and when our chapter hit a rough patch, we both thought about dropping. It was a hard decision because I didn't want to leave my friends or you. You made the choice very simple and if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't still be in this chapter.

At this point, you aren't just my big anymore, but one of my best friends in college. From expanding our family to the Fiesta dates to driving home at 7 am to go to your hair appointment with you at 10 am, to picking you up from the bars at 1 am because you're bored and watching you graduate and move on to bigger and better things.

I am the luckiest girl in the world to have a role model like you.

You make me want to be a better student, person, big, friend, sister, and daughter. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for you. You have shown me how to truly be the best that I can be and to start depending on me because no one is going to do it for you but you.

You are going to thrive in graduate school and I can't wait to come to visit you, wherever you end up. Congratulations on your graduation, KR, you are an unbelievable human being with more love and compassion in your heart than anyone I've ever met. I thank my lucky stars for you.

Love you always,

Little