My Sister Lives Too Far Away

My Sister Lives Too Far Away

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

13
My Sister Lives Too Far Away
Arianna Cohen

Family is very important to me. It is, without a doubt, the most important thing in my life. I haven't always had a close relationship with my family, however. I went through the typical bratty stages of middle school where everything was supposed to revolve around me and no one else mattered. I don't think a lot of people can say that they didn't have this phase at one point in their lives.

My close relationship with my family didn't start until midway through high school. I think it was then that I realized that I wouldn't be able to get through life without my family. It was then that my sister Alex and I became closer than ever. The interesting thing was she had just left for college, so our timing was not great. Moving her into her new college dorm was hard. However, Northwestern was only about two hours away, and I now know that I really took that for granted.

Because my sister was a Division I basketball player, we would often travel to her games as a family. It was nice to be able to see her during the season, but it was exclusively from my game seat and for an hour after for dinner. This was never enough. I always wanted to spend more time with my big sis. People say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it didn't take me until this year to realize this.

This past year, my sister got the opportunity to play professional basketball 6,000 miles away from home in Israel. Just when I thought her being in college was hard, we would now have an eight hour time difference. When I woke up in the morning, she would be eating dinner and heading to bed soon.

I can honestly say that my sister is my best friend, and I couldn't imagine my life without her, so her being this far has been such a challenge for me. Obviously, Alex being in Israel is an extreme case, but I understand the feeling of having your sibling be far away. Your siblings are a huge part of you life, But, when I finally get to see my sister again, it is the best feeling in the world.

Currently, I am sitting in her hotel room where she stays in Ramat Gan, Israel. She is at practice and I get the pleasure of finally getting to see her play again this week! I haven't been able to do this since she graduated college. I am so excited. But also, I am so happy to finally be reunited with my best friend. I love you more than anything, Alex. Thanks for being the best sister and friend in the world.