When Your Sister Is Your Best Friend
Siblings

5 Truths When Your Sister Is Your Best Friend

Sibling relationships can be difficult and downright unpleasant, to say the least, but when you're able to become genuine friends with your sister, it really is something incredible.

302
Kaylynn Wake

Growing up, my sister and I had a tumultuous relationship to put it lightly. And while this is not uncommon for siblings, I remember desperately longing for the day when my sister and I could not only coexist but like, maybe enjoy each other's company. The truth about being the little sister, from someone who has been both, is that it's highly underrated.

Much to the surprise of both my sister and I, growing up and moving away to college has brought us closer in a way that I truly never thought was possible.

I never believed that I would ever be able to say this but my big sister is my best friend. Here are ten ways that you know your sister is your best friend.

You talk everyday.

Whether it's a quick snapchat asking how that date went last night, what you got on your biology test, or a distraught phone call at one in the morning, chances are, you and your sister talk on a daily basis. I can only speak for me but my sister brightens my day and makes my heart happy. Just a month ago my sister and I were distraught because we lost our hundred-day streak on Snapchat because we were together for all of one day and didn't have to snapchat that day.

No topic is off limits.

Similar to the first one, if your sister is your best friend, there's probably not a topic that you wouldn't talk to her about. Sure, maybe at the beginning of your relationship you would veer away from certain topics.

But at some point, I guarantee you, that you will need to talk to her about something that other people wouldn't dream about talking to their family about. Eventually, you will get to a place in your relationship where there really aren't any boundaries.

And I'm going to be completely honest, I cannot imagine not having an older sister to give me advice on life, love, and everything in between.

And as much as it means to receive advice, like the little sister, I'm also qualified to give advice. As someone who has seen my sister struggle through a variety of things, I feel like I am a good person to help her keep perspective when she struggles with things now. I can help her figure out when something is truly a problem and when it's a situation that's might be making her uncomfortable but perhaps in a good way.

They’ve seen you at every stage.

Whether you're on the top of your mount Everest in life or desperately gasping for air at rock bottom, you've probably sought her advice through everything. I don't care how independent or strong you are, we all need someone to confide in once in a while. Not many people know you better than your sister so if anyone's qualified to give advice, she is.

I know that I cannot speak for everybody but the first person who I turn to if I have the best news in the world or if my heart is literally breaking in half. I can speak especially to the times when I've been broken and hurting beyond measure. My sister is always a shoulder to cry on, ears to listen, and a wise person to receive advice from.

And honestly, I am quite hard headed so I don't tend to heed her advice as often as I should but I cannot explain how grateful I am that she's such a part of my life.

You will do anything for each other.

If I'm being honest, it's always kind of been like this with me and my sister but ever since we started getting a lot closer, everything has heightened. If one of us has a bad mental health day or just needs some sister time, neither one of us is hesitant to make the 40-minute drive to visit the other one, even if it's just for a few hours.

And believe me, I never take the fact that I live so close to her for granted. If I ever have any issues with people, my sister is the first one to make sure that I'm okay. And if I'm not okay, well, let's just say that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that conversation.

Even as someone who is pretty low key and gets along with just about everyone, it is nice to know that you always have someone in your corner no matter what.

When you’re apart, you miss her terribly.

Even if you've just spent the whole day together, there's a good chance that you'll send an "I miss you" snap a few hours later. Maybe this isn't everyone but I truly love being in my sister's company so much.

My sister and I are similar in many ways but couldn't be more different in others. We definitely compliment one another and more than that, we challenge each other. If I'm being honest, she is one of the only people who can call me on my bullshit and I'll actually listen to what she's telling me. And as much as my stubborn self hates to admit it, she is usually right because she knows me that well.

And that, my dear, is how you know that you and your sister are actual friends and not just siblings.