To My Sister Who Is The Exact Opposite Of Me

It's a love-hate relationship, but mostly love.

803
Amanda Martin

I say you are crazy. You say I am boring. You consider yourself fun and I consider myself safe. We grew up in the same house, yet somehow we are the exact opposite. Not only do we have opposite personalities, but we look different, too. I have brown hair and green eyes, and you have blonde hair and blue eyes. You're also taller and stronger than me.

You never let the fact that you were eighteen months younger than me stop you from doing anything. In fact, you learned how to ride a bike, do a cartwheel, swim and even drive before I did. In a way, you were like the older sister. You taught me how to wear make up and how to do my hair. You were there helping me get ready for every homecoming, prom and pageant. You were even there for my first kiss and had to kiss your boyfriend first so I knew how to kiss mine.

You set records in track and field, were captain of the cheer leading team, and even competed in state for track and field and competition cheer leading. I, on the other hand was vice president for the senior class and participated in a handful of academic and honor clubs. You always had friends over and I was either working or doing homework.

Growing up, my (few) friends would come over and would end up hanging out with you instead because you were more fun to be around. I didn't mind, because I knew it was true. You are pretty darn cool. I've always secretly wanted to be more like you. You were funny. You knew what was in style. Boys wanted to date you. You had a bunch of friends. You also always won the dance competitions we had in our living room with our cousins. (Except for that one time Brittney and I won with Toby Keith's 'Who's Your Daddy?'... And you better believe I still know that dance by heart!)

You and mom were so close and were always doing back handsprings and cheer leading stuff in the front yard. When she talked to me, it was about school, grades, or college.Now that I'm not fifteen, I've realized I can't really change who I am, and neither can you. I'm basically an old grandma and you are a free spirit. I'm busy with school and work and you do whatever you want. We don't have a lot in common at all.

I'm finally realizing our differences work hand in hand and make us the best duo ever. Although I have a pretty tight schedule with college and work, you don't. This means when I have free time, you are always available to hangout with me. (Thank goodness you actually want to!) In addition, I've got a car, money and an apartment so we can always use these when needed. You encourage me to stay out late, live a little and not to worry. I, on the other hand, remind you to be careful, get some sleep and think about your future.

When we're together, the world better look out! No one can sing (or dance) to 'Fergalicious' or 'Any Man of Mine' like we can! When it comes down to it, nobody knows us better and what makes us the way we are like we do. You're the greatest friend I've ever had. I'm so thankful you are my sister and we're stuck with each other for the rest of our lives.

You may be crazy and I may want to punch you in the face sometimes. But you are my sister ,and I love you. And no matter what, I always will.