Sorry If Your Sister Isn't Also Your Best Friend Because You're Truly Missing Out

Not everyone can go through the same experiences.

179
Salma Torres

Scrolling through Instagram and Facebook, but mostly Instagram, I started to see all the post about the different women's organizations in my university getting bigs/little.

Looking at all the posts, I thought about how I used to be one of those girls, I joined a women's organization hoping I would find my best friend. I wanted to find a place where people would accept me and would give me that sisterhood feeling everyone always tells you about.

Don't get me wrong, I found some pretty great friends where I joined, and this is not about how I regretted joined something, or finding new friends, it's not that kind of post, however, it is a post to remind everyone that you don't need to join an organization to make you feel like you fit in.

To everyone with a sibling out there, this is for you.

I made great friends through my college career, some I see myself been friends for the rest of my life, while some were just passing by and taught something important about life, but we all moved on and grew up. My whole experience with women organization is not about the whole big/little program, but it's more about the friendships of the whole organization.

So, looking at all the posts, seeing all the themes and new friendships being made, reminded me of my own sister. Even though the two of us are twins, this still applies to everyone. You do not need to tell yourself you will find your best friend through college, or if you join any type of organization because if you have a sibling, you already found your best friend.

You grew up with someone that experience the same things you did, someone that understands you, someone that doesn't judge you, and most importantly, someone that is there for you. Isn't that what everyone looks for in a friendship? Someone that is going to have your back no matter what? This person, at least for me, would be my sister.

I know if I ever were to need anything, she would help me no questions ask, and she knows I would do the same for her. Now listen, we didn't go to the same college, but that is the best example of a friendship, we don't need to be in the same place to be there for each other, and most importantly we do not need to experience the same things to understand what the other feels.

You create a bond when you grow up with someone, so when you tell yourself you are going to find your best friend in college, you might be set to high of a standard for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people do find their next partner in crime in college, but at least to me, having a sister means having a built-in best friend, and I wish everyone was lucky enough to experience the same things I did. Because I know that no matter what, I would always have someone to talk to, and I will always feel that there is someone that has my back no matter what. That is the definition of friendship to me.