The Best Parts Of Being S-I-N-G-L-E

The Best Parts Of Being S-I-N-G-L-E

Single is what you make it!

51

Ok, so you're single. Let me tell you something though. It's not the worst thing you can be.

When the word single is said what pops into your mind? My guess is probably something like this: imagine a delirious 20-something-year-old girl in an oversized T-shirt with a messy bun eating a pint of melted ice-cream while on her eighth hour of a "Grey's Anatomy" marathon/cry-fest. If this is you, that's ok, but let me just say that this is not your only option!

If you happen to find yourself... dun dun DUN... single, here are a few unique opportunities us lonely hearts have.

Let's break it down into a nice little acrostic:

S-I-N-G-L-E

S- Say what you mean

First up on the list is "S" for say what you mean. Whether you want to think so or not, relationships tend to affect your way of thinking. Often your true thoughts never come out for the sake of keeping the peace and staying ~happy~. I'm not saying that people in relationships aren't really happy, but I'm simply saying that when you're single feel free to speak whatever is on your mind.

I- Independence

Now for the "I", independence. This one is pretty much self-explanatory and it has a different meaning for every person. To me, it means having the chance to be on my own and gaining the assurance that I can go out and do things without always having someone at my side. Having a S.O. should not determine your social schedule. Relish in that sweet independence and the confidence that comes with it!

N- No obligations

"N" is for no obligations, which is also fairly self-explanatory. It's something you don't really notice until it's gone. Again, I'm not saying that people who are in relationships hate having obligations to do things with their beau, but it's nice to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want. No more worries about what your boyfriend thinks when you're with your guy friends or guilt in choosing to hang out with the girls over a date night.

G- Girl/guy friends

"G" goes along well with "N". Feel free to spend all the time you want with all your great girl and guy friends that you maybe haven't seen enough of lately. Being single is the best time to reconnect.

L- Love yourself

Next up is "L" for love yourself. Cliche? Sure, but extremely important. How can you be happy loving someone else if you don't even know how to love yourself. Slow down and take the time to recognize what an amazingly complex and unique individual you are and learn to love that. Start to love even the parts of you that you don't like or change them. Work on becoming the best, happiest you.

E- Empowerment to be authentic

Lastly, "E" is for empowerment to be authentic. This is really just a summation of each of the other points. Doing these things will empower you to be the true you. Authenticity is hard to find these days, but I believe it's the only way to truly be happy. Singleness makes it easier to "keep it real." As the famous Oscar Wilde quote goes, "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken."

Still sad about being single? It's ok. It can be hard and it's ok to feel sad when all your friends are coupled up. However, you have two options: stay sad or stop dwelling on the negatives and see it for what it is. Singleness has its advantages too. Sometimes you don't know what you have until its gone. Always stay grateful and know that even if you're single right now, you're still #blessed.