'Sing' Will Leave You Singing Along With A Smile

From the studio that brought us the 'Despicable Me' and 'Minions' movies, comes a movie with heart and pop songs.

37
Spotify

Illumination Entertainment's animated musical comedy, Sing, premiered on December 21, 2016.

Sing features Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon, a koala who hosts a musical competition in an attempt to save his theater. Among the competitors are Johnny, a mobster gorilla voiced by Taron Egerton; Ash, a teenage punk-rock porcupine voiced by Scarlett Johansson; Rosita, a housewife pig voiced by Reese Witherspoon; Gunter, a dancing pig voiced by Nick Kroll; Mike, a Sinatra-singing street musician mouse voiced by Seth MacFarlane; and Meena, a shy elephant voiced by Tori Kelly.

The singing performances are wonderful! Tori Kelly shines as Meena. I admit, I went for Scarlett Johansson but stayed for Tori Kelley. Kelly's voice has a range that can belt out in even the happy birthday song. You have most likely heard this by now, but Egerton has the voice of an angel who does justice to Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" and Elton John's "I'm Still Standing." When the first trailer come out, I was drawn to Sing for the singing voice of Scarlet Johansson. And Johansson sure has the voice to drive an angst punk-rock performance.

McConaughey also presents a great voice performance as Buster Moon whose spirit and optimism lead the film.

Even though a critique of Sing is it's predictable plot in the first act, within the second act, Sing shines with heart as we get the emotion ridden performances the movie was building up from the beginning. After watching the backstory and growth of the characters, the final performances have this climatic moment as we see the characters sing their hearts out as they find their artistic identity. I admit, I almost cried during Meena's performance.

Also, Jennifer Hudson! Yes, she lends her voice as Nana Noodleman's singing voice, and her cover of The Beatles' "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" will make your eyes water as its song is used throughout the movie for moving moments.

Overall, I went in expecting another Secret Life of Pets with some cover songs of popular music and forget about the whole thing an hour later. However, I left with a smile on my face and replaying the amazing covers of "I'm Still Standing" and "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing." Additionally, I am now a Tori Kelly fan.