10 Simple Stress Relievers You Should Try

Do your dozens of assignments cause anxiety?

65

Do your dozens of assignments cause anxiety? Do you need something to relieve that thing we call "stress"? Well, this is for you.

1. Write it down

You don't necessarily have to get into detailed journaling every day, but sometimes it's good to just write down what is causing you stress, and how you're feeling. Plus, the paper is always available, if not that then even your phone works. You never know if your best friend or your mom is going to answer you right away when you need to just vent.

Plus, when you're only writing to yourself if what you're stressing about may sound silly, at least there will be no judgment! We all need to just get out how we're feeling sometimes, and this is a great outlet for that.

2. Surround yourself with friends and family

I know that when I am feeling stressed, there is nothing better than surrounding myself with the people that I love. They are usually easy to talk to and can make me laugh when I need it. I would rather have comfort and not feel alone when I am stressed out about something, so this really helps. Also, instead of writing your feelings down, this can be a way to vent as well.

3. Take deep breaths!

Sometimes, you just feel your chest tightening at the thought of everything you have to accomplish each week, and how you're going to do that. It can be overwhelming when you have so much to do, and it can make it hard to relax. One way to calm yourself down, and think clearly, is to BREATHE.

Think about something that makes you happy, and take deep breaths for a few minutes. You will instantly feel a lot better, and feel like you have more control over your thoughts.

4. Yoga or meditation

Yoga and meditation are really relaxing ways to clear your mind as well. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can teach you some yoga moves, and you will feel like your mind is taken off of the stress, even if it's short-lived. There are also guided meditation videos you can follow if you've never meditated before.

Once you get the hang of it, you can meditate all on your own, and do it more consistently. This is proven to be a great stress reliever.

5. Listen to music

Listening to happy, comforting music is a GREAT way to relieve stress! For me personally, I feel so much better when listening to songs that put me in a good mood. I have found that sometimes when I am doing homework, listening to music at the same time also makes me a little less stressed.

Music can also be good for meditation and yoga. Plus, it is proven that classical music stimulates the brain! So the next time you are studying or doing homework, give that a try.

6. Exercise

Exercise is not as relaxing to relieve stress, but a good workout definitely does help. Even taking 30 minutes a day to exercise can improve this. When you exercise, it reduces stress hormones (cortisol) and releases chemicals that improve your mood (endorphins). If you exercise at night, it actually can help you sleep too.

I don't know about you, but after a good workout, I find I am tired and want to sleep! Not only that, but having less stress overall helps to sleep better at night. Exercise is a stress reliever, but you're also getting fit and healthy while doing it!

7. Relaxation

It's good to take some relaxation time to yourself when you are feeling stressed about something. I like to make my room kind of dark, maybe light some candles, and listen to relaxing music while laying down. It feels so peaceful to do this. Another way to relax is to take a bubble bath or a warm shower. You might even have a hobby that relaxes you, such as drawing or reading.

8. Stay on track

Procrastination is a way to definitely make yourself more stressed than you already are, so making sure you stay on track with everything can help reduce your stress level. Make sure you are submitting your assignments on time, studying when you should, and being consistent! This will only help you in the long run.

9. Say no

When you already have a lot going on in your life, it is okay to say no to one more thing! For example, you have a big test coming up, and your friends want to go out the weekend before, but you know you have to study. It is absolutely okay to say no, and do what you need to do! Don't add more than you can handle your life, as that will only add more stress. Focus on what is important first, and think about fun later.

10. Stay organized

One last way to reduce stress by a landslide is to stay organized! When you have multiple things going on in life, it is good to keep a calendar of everything coming up, so you don't forget. This can also help you to stop procrastinating. I keep a calendar to look at in my room, and I have a school planner I bring with me every day. This is so I can write down homework assignments, test dates, and project/essay due dates coming up. I use the other calendar for appointments coming up, and to write down what time I work each day.

Hopefully, these tips can help you relieve some of the stress you may have, and I definitely recommend implementing them in your daily life!