Simple Pleasures

Simple Pleasures

There is something more beyond those many papers and electric screens.

13
Simple Pleasures
www.walloza.com

Life as a college student can be pretty hectic. With the weight of heavy books on our shoulders, we spend the weekdays rushing from class to class, our headphones tuning out the rustling leaves and the chirping birds and our heads bowed - away from yet another beautiful day - looking at the small screen in our hands. Our weekends are spent running errands, studying in the library (our second home) and, on occasion, attending that Friday/Saturday night party. Before we know it, three weeks have passed becoming one obscure, foggy memory.

Thinking back on my first three weeks of junior year, there are a few moments that soothe my restless mind and cause the corners of my mouth to curl into a smile. Like that night spent laying on the beach of Puffer's Pond with one of my closest friends. Sitting side by side on a rock overlooking the water, we admired the still reflection of the bright stars; it was as if there were two skies. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, it's moments like these that are worth all the stresses of every-day life." And it was such a simple moment: Just us girls, draped in a blanket, sitting, talking, appreciating the vast sky, contemplating the insignificance of our short lives, compared to the beautiful things that were here long before us and which will be here long after we are gone.

Nature has a way of clearing the mind. Sometimes, we need to stop, even if for just a second and treasure the simple pleasures of life. The aftermath of a storm, for instance, when the colors of nature are most vibrant, like the luscious, verdant lawn. Sometimes, after it rains, I like to go outside for a short walk and breath in the fresh air. When the sun comes out, it shines on the leaves and, if I look closely, I can find a hint of a rainbow within a raindrop.

I have never considered myself a nature person. However, through cultivating close relationships with more adventurous people who have opened my eyes to the world around me, I have gained a new appreciation for Mother Nature and all she has to offer. Beauty can be found in every moment, even the grayest of days. All we have to do is simply take a second and look around.