Where Is Silly Putty Hiding In Your Food?

Childhood toy or tonight's dinner?

118
Sizzlebobblog.wordpress.com

It's true: Some of America's favorite fast food restaurants have been serving up this toy. The disgusting fact is you had no idea, until now.

Vani Hari, otherwise known as "The Food Babe," has been investigating the harsh realities of what's really in today's processed food. One of her finds is the sneaky way Silly Putty has been slipping into your diet.

Dimethylpolysiloxane is the main ingredient that gives Silly Putty its unique silicone, rubbery texture. It's also found in caulks, adhesives, aquarium sealants and other silicone based lubricants, such as defoaming agents, mold release agents, damping fluids, polishes, cosmetics, hair conditioners and other applications. The "other applications" just happen to be our food.

Now this is where it really gets gross...

According to Food Babe, "The FDA allows Dimethylpolysiloxane to be preserved by several different chemicals that don’t have to be listed on the label either, including formaldehyde! Formaldehyde is one of the most highly toxic substances on earth. It is linked to allergies, brain damage, cancer, and auto-immune disorders."

Below are some of the top food and beverages containing Dimethylpolysiloxane. Unfortunately, this is just the short list since the FDA approved the use of it in 1998.

Chik-fil-A Chicken Sandwiches

The classic chicken sandwich is cooked in peanut oil, in which they list Dimethylpolysiloxane as an anti-foaming agent.

McDonald's French Fries

McD's famous french fries are prepared in an oily concoction that utilizes Dimethylpolysiloxane to reduce oil splattering when cooking.

KFC Mashed Potatoes and Biscuits

While the mashed potatoes and biscuits already have an alarmingly long list of ingredients, Dimethylpolysiloxane is included once again as an anti-foaming agent.

Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists

Taco Bell cleverly hid Dimethylpolysiloxane on this ingredients list. If I had to guess, it's disguised under the canola oil.

Wendy's French Fries

While Wendy's uses 5 less ingredients than McDonald's in their french fries, Dimethylpolysiloxane is still one.

Dominos Bread Sticks

Like majority of the others listed, Dimethylpolysiloxane is listed as an anti-foam agent added to the bread sticks during preparation.

Diet Coke

Ah, Diet Coke...somehow I knew you'd end up here. As if you weren't already filled with numerous bad ingredients, let's add Dimethylpolysiloxane.

All of these companies have a list of ingredients online for every item on the menu.

These chains aren't trying to intentionally hurt their customers, they're using Dimethylpolysiloxane solely to trim their expenses. I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks to avoid eating Silly Putty!

Is it safe?

While there have been no major studies on the safety of consuming this ingredient, that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay. Dimethylpolysiloxane has also been used as a filler fluid in breast implants, but it's being removed due to its hazardous material. If it can't be used inside our bodies, why does the food industry allow us to eat it? I'd be curious to see what study results say.

This may make you think twice about grabbing a bite to eat on the go. You never know what you could be consuming. #FoodForThought...literally.