12 Signs You're Becoming Your Parents

12 Signs That You're Turning Into Your Parents, But It's Not The End Of The World

The transformation has begun, and honestly, I'm here for it.

743
Anushree Rayarikar

Being in college and living away from home, I have become more independent. When I was in high school, I did a lot by myself: laundry, some cooking, cleaning my room, etc. However, since entering college, not only have I become more adult-like in my responsibilities, but also in my mindset. If you do these 12 things, chances are, you've become a true adult too.

High school-esque drama literally doesn't bother you anymore

The whole "he said/she said" attitude about the world now just seems petty and annoying. The only "she said" I care about is myself. I've learned that other peoples' opinions of me matter, but they do not define who I am.

You text your friend group chat about getting new kitchen appliances

When my mom told me that our kitchen appliances were going to be updated, I literally whipped out my phone and sent in the group message "I'm getting a new fridge tomorrow" followed by hundreds of exclamation points and emojis. And, as an indication that my friends are the best friends in the world (and that they too are turning into their mothers), they all texted back "YASSS" and "When can we come see it omg"

You get excited to read books and go to bed at 10 p.m.

Some people's summer 2019 fantasies might involve getting crazy on a beach, or partying until the sun comes up. Granted, those things do have a certain amount of allure to them. However, my ideal summer night kinda sorta most definitely involves reading at sunset on my porch swing and then going to bed early so I can finally get a full night of sleep.

You get more and more into The Ellen Show every day

Okay, Ellen DeGeneres has always been awesome. But now, her awesomeness is 20x what it was when I was in high school. There's just something about wholesome talk show comedy that makes me believe in the world again.

Your knees hurt when it's going to rain

Okay, this is more a "my knees are like an old person's knees" thing, but I swear my knees can tell the weather. Bible!

Swiffering is your stress relief

Yes, I would take a bullet for my Swiffer. Yes, I know that is absurd. But cleaning makes me feel so calm!! #NoShame

You don't let your friends leave your dorm room until they're well fed

Snacks, anyone?? Juice? C'mon, I know you're hungry!

You're everyone's go-to for advice

As the Tangled song once said, "Mother knows best!" And though that mom was evil and totally crazy, the words did have some meaning. Now, you've become the hub for all of your friend's problems. Who would've thought that a sleep-deprived, caffeine-addicted teenager would be giving advice!

You start believing in silly superstitions

Listen, I've never walked under a ladder or passed the salt directly into someone's hands, and my life seems to be working out decently well, so I don't wanna hear it!

You prefer thrift store mom jeans to high end leggings

Honestly, paying more than $25 for a pair of leggings just puts me in a state of pure anxiety. Plus, mom jeans are comfy and give you room to breathe, so who wouldn't want that?

You can't remember anything without writing it down

Seriously, I cannot remember a single thing unless I write it in my planner or type it in my phone. I think by now, I've filled my brain with so much useless garbage that there just isn't any room left for grocery lists or reminders.

You just feel more confident in your capabilities

My parents have always encouraged me to believe in myself, and thanks to their years of support, I have grown into the confident human being I am today. Now, I feel confident and secure in myself, and am able to provide the same support to my peers and friends, to help them grow to their fullest potentials as well. What more could I ask for?

As goofy and dorky as my parents are, I'm proud that I'm becoming like them. They raised me well, and have been my role models for my whole life.

So, Aai and Baba, thank you for making me who I am today. I hope that I have made you proud and that one day, my kids can look up to me the way I do to you, and roll their eyes at how goofy their mom is, and hope that they never (but definitely inevitably will) turn out to be like me.