11 Signs You're In A Toxic Relationship And Need To GTHO
popular

If you're unsure your relationship is headed down the wrong path, these are some signs to help you figure it out.

1938
omgitszo / Flickr

Relationships can be lit when they’re full of fun and spontaneous adventures. But other times, you get stuck in one and can't help but wonder how you got there in the first place. The world requires balance, and for every good relationship, there's a bad one. There's pain, abuse and dread. You may be blinded by the commitment and feel forced to stay in a relationship that you don't want to be in. Whether it's physical, emotional or mental, abuse is abuse.

It's difficult and sucks.

It leaves you in the position of not knowing what to do or where to find answers. If you're confused or unsure whether or not your partner is abusive, here are some signs that make the perfect recipe for a toxic relationship. If this sounds like your partner, GTHO now.

1. They're jealous AF.

Does your partner make you end a 100+ day snap streak with your BFF, who just happens to be of your gender of interest, even though the streak started before you were even an item? Or do they make you block all your best friends' numbers, who are also of your gender of interest, even though you swear up and down you've been nothing more than friends since the sixth grade?

Maybe they'll even steal your phone away and send the most unnecessary, rude and immature text message to your best friend, saying to leave you alone or there'll be consequences? Maybe they've tried convincing you to tell them where one of your best friends lives, so they can go vandalize that person's house and slash their tires? They hate seeing you happy with anyone but them.

No matter what the extent, jealousy isn't a cute look.

2. They're the biggest hypocrite you know.

Do they preach but don't practice? Apparently, you can't do this or that, but they seem to have no problem doing exactly what they don't want you to do. Funny how that works, huh?

3. They're possessive and controlling.

Commitment doesn't mean ownership. Does your partner dictate your every move and insist you ask for permission before going out? Have they ever left you with ultimatums, ensuring they get what they want? If not, they might act in ways that prevent you from carrying out your plans. Excessive phone calls, nonstop text messages and unexpectedly showing up to places unannounced and uninvited.

Maybe you couldn't hang out with your partner last night because you had to work, so they showed up and made an embarrassing scene? Or maybe you were at a wedding, spending time with family instead of your phone; so they call repeatedly and text your family members asking them to tell you to text them back.

Basically, THEY WON'T LET YOU DO YOU. Your partner shouldn't interfere with your family, friendships and/or your job/career.

4. They're forceful.

Is your partner physically forceful? Sexually forceful? Emotionally forceful? Mentally forceful? Forceful in any way, shape or form? If so, LEAVE. Consistent force usually comes in a package deal with aggression, which tends to lead to abuse. There's no reasonable excuse for this to be happening.

5. No true altruism.

Nothing they do ever has selfless intentions. “Well remember that one time I did something nice for you?” At that point in time maybe it seemed like a nice gesture; but as time passes by, they make sure you never forget and will eventually expect you to return the favor. They’re a real scorekeeper.

6. There's lack of trust.

Do they make you share your location with them 24/7? And then when you stop sharing, do they go on a rant about how you purposely turned your location off because they assume you want to sneak off and hang out with other people? Do they make you keep them updated on your every move of every second?

When you don't respond in 0.2 seconds, do they automatically assume you're cheating on them?

When you told them you got into your dream school that you worked so hard for, were they happy for you, or more concerned about you partying and meeting new people?

And then have they ever tried to convince you not to go to college because of all those potential risks?

Hmm, who knew an education could be so hazardous.

7. They're a little too close for comfort.

They dropped the "L" bomb quicker than you can say "slow down," and now you feel obligated for commitment. They came on wayyyyyyyy too strong and you have no idea how to handle it. Love is not a race, and commitment shouldn't be either. Don't be afraid to stomp on the brakes and tell them to BACK TF UP. Once you're in there too deep, it's only going to get harder to get out.

8. They're irresponsible.

Can they not take responsibility for their actions? Do they blame you for every argument known to mankind? Including things like the Civil War and the Holocaust?

9. They're manipulative as hell.

Have you ever taken them to a party with all your friends and then when they want to leave, they tell you that if you don't leave with them then they're going to drive home with no seatbelt or headlights? And then the punchline, after you already left with them, they admit they made that up just to better persuade you to leave? And then their excuse for everything is, "it's only because I love you." Since when was love spelled, B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T?

10. They're scary.

Are you worried that your partner may cause harm to you? If this is a concern, odds are they will. It starts with a grab; fingers gripped around your skin, or hand clenched on your arm with no room to escape. Any form of unwanted physical contact is abuse. Maybe they hit you that one time but it was an "accident." They said, "I didn't mean to," but last time I checked, that swift movement of a hand across the face isn't just some natural reflex. There's no room for second chances in this case.

11. They're threatening.

Do they threaten your life? Do they threaten the lives of your loved ones? Do they threaten their own life? Do they say things like, "If you leave me, I'm going to kill myself," or "My blood will be on your hands," etc.? More importantly, do they not mean it all? Do they use it as another manipulation tactic to get you to stay with them? And sometimes you honestly just don't know, so you have to play it safe and stay with them? Because that slim chance that they actually are being serious isn't worth finding out. Truth is, if it comes to the point where your partner has to threaten their own life so you don't leave, then they got some serious issues and you should probably get them help.

Maybe these scenarios are extreme, but they do happen. And although no relationship is the same, they can be similar. Situations like this do happen, we just may not notice the toxic effect it has on our lives. Most people think it's easy to just get up and walk out. But nothing is ever that simple, and people who have never experienced it won't understand.

Leaving is complex, especially when you have to prevent collateral damage, and repair the damage that has already been done. It's a puzzle figuring out what to do and how to do it. Honestly, for the sake of your happiness, sometimes you need to be selfish. End the relationship with first chance you get and your future self will thank you for it.