Signs Indicating a Need to Consult a Urologist

Urologist

24

Urology is a branch of science that concentrates on health issues of the male and female urinary tract systems.

Similarly, it manages any ailment related to the male reproductive organs. The urinary tract directs the passage toward producing, protecting, and discarding pee from the body. Diagnosis of a urologist hinges the uterus, kidney, adrenal organs, bladder, and the male conceptive organs such as Gonads, Penis, Prostate. The best urologist in Kolkata helps you to identify a root cause and method to correct them.

What is the education and training background of a Urologist?

Urologists should have a medical degree from a specialized institution. They may join a medical college after they pass their NEET exam. Following medical school, urologists carry out a residency in a urology facility. After a duration of 5 years, the student should pass a specialist board test. After board and residency tests, urologists are proficient of working at hospitals or create their own setup.

Roles of a Urologist

A urologist has an expertise of detecting and treating issues related to the urinary tract. Urologists deal with males and females in a similar way. With females, a urologist deals only with the UTI issues. With males, the urologist may diagnose and cure ailments related to penis and testicles as well. Also, these doctors take care of male infertility and sexual disorders.

What are the signs indicating a need to consult a urologist?

If these issues continue, the concerned doctor might recommend you to a urologist:

Male symptoms

• Bloody urine
  • Pain in the testicles
  • Erectile dysfunction
  • Painful and urinating more often
  • Inflamed prostate

Female symptoms

• Recurrent urination sensation
  • Pain in the back or sides
  • Blood in the urine
  • Burning feeling while urinating

Treatment procedures performed by a urologist

Ureteroscopy

Ureteroscopy treats renal stones. The urethra, ureter, and bladder guide a ureteroscope to the renal stone. Stones larger in size should be fragmented.

Cystoscopy

This method assesses the urethra and bladder by viewing them using a cystoscope. It identifies a distended prostate and is useful for treating bladder problems.

Nephrectomy

Nephrectomy (removal of kidney) is a surgical method that removes all or part of a kidney.

Vasectomy

This procedure is male birth control surgery. During this procedure, the doctor seals the vas deferens.

Prostate Biopsy

This procedure removes uncertain tissue samples from the prostate.

When is there a need to visit a urologist?

A patient can be referred to a urologist for treating different conditions:

• Kidney disorder: Kidney damage may cause inflammation in the hands and ankles, hypertension, and other signs. If the kidneys fail to work efficiently, this is kidney failure. Eventually, it might be lethal.
  • Incontinence: A malfunction in the urinary system may cause an involuntary loss of bladder control. In females, this might arise from a weakened pelvic floor muscle during pregnancy.
  • Urinary tract infections (UTIs): Infection appear when bacteria move from the digestive tract to the urethra. Signs may involve pain, abnormal urination, nausea, vomiting, incontinence, fevers, and chills. It is more common in females.
  • Renal transplantation: An individual might need kidney transplants after kidney failure.
  • Male infertility: This may arise due to damage in the male reproductive tract and many sperm disorders. One common reason is varicoceles, an inflamed vein in the sac under the penis. Surgery may at times help.
  • Urologic oncology: Cancer treatments that associate with the urological or male reproductive system, including bladder cancer and prostate cancer.
  • Enlarged prostate: Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) has an effect on around 1 in 3 men above 50 years of age. An overgrowth of cells present in the prostate gland results in the constriction of urethra. This gives rise to urination problems.
  • Cancers: The kidneys, bladder, testicles, prostate gland, or any other cancer that has an impact on the urinary system or, in males, the reproductive system.

What to expect from a urologist?

• The urologist would usually carry out some tests to determine the issue. Imaging tests including CT, ultrasound, MRI scan, might help the urologist to find the issue and a urine test might be done to check for bacteria and other symptoms of ailment.
  • If the condition gets more severe, a biopsy can be done. It is traditionally to detect cancer and other problems. Also, the urologist might ask you queries regarding your medical history and execute a physical assessment.
  • If you wish to urinate often, or experiencing pain in passing urine, blood in urine, trouble in passing urine, pain in your lower back, or difficulty in maintaining an erection and early ejaculation. You must contact a health expert. So as to maintain a healthy urinary tract, urologists advise that you frequently empty your bladder and have enough water rather than caffeine.
  • Also, urologists emphasize on the importance of avoiding smoking and having a low-salt diet. By practicing these easy tips, you can prevent a range of urological issues. It is possible to treat all tumors or cancer of the urinary bladder, prostate, penis, kidney, and testis by the urologist. In addition, many urologists also do renal transplants.