Three Significant Life Lessons In Finding Dory

Through all the laughs and the tears that I shed, there were three very important life lessons within Finding Dory, and I hope that every other viewer in the audience was able to identify them and truly understand their importance.

46
Slashfilm

We all know that cute little blue tang fish, Dory, whose short-term memory is not quite that good. Recently, she was the star in her own movie, "Finding Dory." Don't worry. I won't be sharing too many spoilers. I will, however, be sharing some of the great life lessons that I took away from this wonderful Disney film.

1. Just keep swimming.

You can't predict the path that your life is going to take. I mean, could Dory predict that she would befriend an octopus to help her travel around on land to find her long lost parents? No. Okay, I lied. There are a few spoilers in here. There are some things that you simply have no control over, but there is one thing that you can control: your reaction to the obstacles and difficulties that are thrown your way. If you keep pushing on, keep taking it day by day. Keep swimming, eventually you will crush the obstacles in your path and come out on the other side where the grass is greener or in Dory's case, where the water is bluer. So, even when life is wailing on you until you simply want to give up, don't. It'll be worth it in the end if you keep fighting.

2. There's always another way.

Sometimes you may come to what you believe is a dead end. Dory came to a lot of dead ends, especially because of her short-term memory loss. Whether you can't figure out a problem in math class or you're like Dory and you don't know how to get from Point A (the ocean) to Point B (a Quarantine building), I promise that you are not out of luck. There is another way to tackle your problem. It may just be that you need to take a step back and look at the situation from another perspective or that you need to stop over-analyzing things. Whatever it is, there is another way. Life is about learning to adapt, and sometimes a lot of crap will be thrown at you, and you will be overwhelmed and confused. At the end of it all you will be able to figure everything out one way or another.

3. Never turn your back on the ones that you care about.

Dory swam and swam until she helped Marvin find and rescue Nemo in "Finding Nemo."In "Finding Dory," when Dory was so certain that she knew where her parents were, although he had little faith in her, Marvin and Nemo accompanied her on the journey, because she helped the two of them before. This exemplifies loyalty and how you should always stick by your loved ones' sides regardless of your feelings about the circumstances or situation that they are in. Compassion, loyalty and friendship are three of the greatest things in this world, and this beautiful movie definitely touched upon their importance.

It baffles me that there are so many complex, but at the same time simple, life lessons within a two hour Pixar film that is originally made for young children. I can see how it draws in people of all ages. "Finding Dory" was honestly a brilliant movie that taught me a lot of good morals and values to have. If a 19-year-old girl can learn this much from a Disney movie then think of what a 6-year-old child can take away from it!