Yes, Your Sibling Should Be Your Best Friend, And If They're Not, Change It

My life would never be the same without my sister.

300
Jennifer Hancock

Have you ever heard the quote that always makes its stride through countless Instagram captions,

“God made us best friends because our parents couldn’t handle us as sisters?”

Well, for my parents, they didn’t get that lucky.

My absolute best friend is my sister who is four years older than me and married.

Now, to be quite honest—we haven’t always been close. Well, not until about two years ago.

When we were younger we fought constantly. I have even found old journal entries of mine where I talked about how mean we were to each other.

At that point, I truly never expected us to be as close as what we are now.

My life seriously wouldn’t be the same without her. Truly.

In the past two years, she and I have actually become the same person, we joke about it all the time.

Because we grew up together and are pretty close in age, we slowly became very similar. It is even a joke between us that we are literally the same person (OK we are.)

We get each other's jokes and can give each other the look and laugh.

Not only does she get my normal college girl problems, she gets my family problems, too.

When I am upset about anything, I don’t have to go through other friends and explain everything. I can just tell her because she just gets it. All families go through situations, and I could never get through ours without her with me.

She honestly gives me a great role model to look up to. With her being four years older than me, when I started college, she just finished.

So going by her experiences I shaped my college life around hers. I am even attending the same university she chose.

I could go on and on about how great my sister is; I am not really here to tell you about our relationship. I want to tell you how amazing it is to have your sister (or brother) as your best friend.

To those who were blessed to have siblings, and those siblings are still around, keep them close to you. They can be your closest confidant.

When we used to fight, my mom always said to us, “You are fighting now, but later in life, you are going to need each other. You just do not realize it yet.”