Do you have what it takes to be a nurse?

Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Nurse?

Being a nurse is what everyone wants to be recently, but is it really for you?

836
https://unsplash.com/photos/vu-DaZVeny0
Photo by Ani Kolleshi on Unsplash

I have always known that wanted to be a nurse for as long as I can remember. I was a young girl who made frequent trips to the hospital for family aspects. During my visits, it amazed me to see how the nurses were the ones who were constantly there for you compared to the doctors. The nurses made real connections with patients.

Being a nurse comes with obstacles and taking the job home with you. Making and forming connections with others around you on a daily basis can be rewarding, yet draining when you may have to say a final farewell to a patient not doing too good. You need to be able to be strong and caring and be able to put your emotions behind a shut door, but also be able to show empathy. It is challenging, and it takes a unique person to fulfill such a role.

Speaking of, to be a nurse you need to be a hard worker. Let me tell you, I am not even in the nursing school yet, but I know that it is not going to be easy, but it will be worth it at the end. You also need to be willing to put in hard and weird hours, early mornings, afternoons, nights, NOCS, 12 hours, doubles, etc. It is not hard, but worth it.

Passion is also something that nurses consist of, and this is due to the challenges and obstacles you may face as a nurse but having passion for caring for others and loving your job makes it all worth it at the end of the day.

Currently, working as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) I have first handily been able to experience some of the strange hour's nurses and myself have to work. I have to accommodate too special needs and be understanding of others, their abilities, and make their rough days turn into better ones. I get to put a smile on people's faces and it truly makes my day. I have had to deal with death and injury of residents and people I have learned to care for. I have had to set my own potential emotions aside separate from my own life.

Being a nurse is challenging and I am not trying to derive you from your plan, but it is hard, it is not easy and people need to be aware of it. Yes, it brings hardships, but it also brings great rewards. Nurses truly do make a difference in the world and are hero's that do not wear capes to many individuals around the world.