Why You Should Take Classes Outside Of Your Major

Exploring different subjects allows you to be well-informed and well-rounded.

234
Jessica Elman

Although the definition of “liberal arts” is “academic subjects such as literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences as distinct from professional and technical subjects”, liberal arts educations are not always solely focused on these specific subjects. Liberal arts colleges have a goal of giving students general knowledge in a multitude of topics, as opposed to the style of learning a technical or research school may have of focusing on one particular trade.

In my opinion, a liberal arts education is beneficial because it gives students a background in other areas of study besides their chosen majors. This type of education encourages students to take courses outside of their designated major and school, which I think is vital in being a well-rounded, well-informed human.

My specific major requires half of my 120 credits to be taken outside of the school of communications. Even if this was not a requirement, I would still have the desire to take classes outside of communications. To me and many other college students I have spoken with, being able to learn outside of your major is the perfect break from your typical studies, and a way to get outside your comfort zone.

For the past five years, taking French classes has been a type of release for me. The ability to explore a subject that not only challenged me academically, but was also different than any basic math, science, english or social studies course, was riveting for me.

I consider myself lucky to have fallen in love with French, because I now have a particular subject that helps keep me well-rounded and more culturally informed. But my school’s curriculum would do that for me, whether I pursued studies in French or not.

Ithaca College has a unique Integrative Core Curriculum that requires all students to take a course in Creative Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. This curriculum also includes a first-year seminar to ease the transition of students into college life, a quantitative literacy course, a diversity class, a writing intensive, and a course intended for seniors to connect the dots of their comprehensive education.

I love that my school helps its students be well-informed and well-rounded by making them take courses outside of their majors. It is the perfect way to introduce different subjects to us students, and it hopefully sparks an interest in some to explore those subjects further.

Even if a college does not specialize in liberal arts education and is research or vocational-based, I would highly recommend taking classes outside of your major. If nothing else, it is relaxing and enjoyable to study something other than your usual coursework, and it will help expand your knowledge in different fields.