Why You Should Listen To Your Dad's Advice More Often

A few pieces of fatherly advice can go a long way.

360
Chandler Monk

I was definitely classified as a "daddy's girl" when I was younger, but, naturally, as I approached my teenage years, I pushed him away without realizing that that was when I needed his advice the most. I can honestly say that one of the biggest lessons that I learned from college is appreciation for my parents.

So, I would like to share with you guys some of his advice that I did just happen to hear, while running out the door on a Friday night, and will never forget.

Establish that your education comes before all relationships.

If someone can't understand that and genuinely wants to stand between you and your goals, then he is not the one for you. In this day and age, divorce isn't ideal, but it does happen, so build a career in which you don't have to rely on a significant other to provide for you.

Study smarter, not harder.

You can choose to study alone in your dorm for 10 hours or with a study group in the library, who has all of the old practice tests and flashcards, for two hours. You're learning the same content, but just using your resources better.

People usually can't put on an act for more than three months.

If they have been putting on an act or faking who they are towards you, you will generally be able to tell their true colors after about three months. If you are still concerned about their characters, see how they react in an environment of people they can gain nothing from, like volunteering or charity work.

Don't do something because you are worried about pleasing someone else.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make others happy in small forms, but, if you are pursuing a career to please someone else, you will never be fully content if it's not your own passion.

Learn how to drive a stick shift.

You never know whose car you're going to have to drive because he or she has had one too many drinks. You also don't want to create your own stop-and-go traffic at 2 a.m. because you keep stalling out the engine.

Know how to clean up nicely, but but don't be afraid to do yard work.

My dad always tells me that one of the reasons he married my mom was because she wasn't afraid to have grass stains all over her from working outside all day, but could still dress up and go out to dinner that night.

If you have nothing else to give, you can at least work hard.

He always told me that it takes zero talent to work hard, but it does take character. You may have an off-game, or day, but there's never an excuse to not give your full effort.

Memories are worth more than materialistic possessions.

Spend your money on traveling and experiences because they are the only things that you can buy that pay you back for your investments. No one needs a big, empty house, so don't spend all of your money on a mortgage and neglect spending money on memories, just because you are worried about impressing others.

These are just a few wise words my dad has given me throughout the years that I now realize are words to live by. So, I want to thank my dad for continuing to give me advice, even when I was more caught up in getting to the beach while the sun was still up. I also want to challenge everyone to put down your phones and actually listen to your dad's advice every once in a while, because I promise you that your phones don't know how to drive a stick shift.