Top 8 Reasons To Try Kayaking

Top 8 Reasons To Go Kayaking This Summer

Ever been kayaking? Not sure you want to give it a try? Here are my reasons you should get out on the water this summer.

109

Picture this: Crystal blue water inches from your elbows, a gentle breeze rustling through the picturesque trees above you, and geese swimming calmly beside your kayak. You look down to see a turtle swimming lazily through the warm water and smile at the beautiful world you're now a part of. This is one type of kayaking, and one of my many reasons you should give it a try this summer.

Escape the stress of life.

cdn.pixabay.com

Life can get overwhelming at times, and going kayaking can take you to a whole new world. There are numerous health benefits to going outside. Studies show that spending 90 minutes a day outside in a nature setting is good for your mental health and can help prevent depression. What better way to spend that time than by kayaking on your favorite local lake?

Exercise!

cdn.pixabay.com

It's not a secret that exercising is good for our bodies, and that most people don't get enough of it. That's due in part to the fact that working out in the gym isn't very fun. Most of us don't enjoy it. However, kayaking is fun and great for you. Kayaking is a workout for the whole body, something it's hard to get while having fun.

It's ageless.

live.staticflickr.com

When you head out to your local body of water to try out kayaking, don't be surprised to see a mix of age groups. Unlike a lot of recreational activities, kayaking isn't hard on the knees, and a lot of older people enjoy it. You can choose your level of difficulty by deciding where to kayak. If you want a wild river adventure that works out every muscle you have, go on a river. If you prefer something more relaxed, go to a small lake or creek. Pay attention to the weather as well, because fighting the wind will make kayaking harder.

A new perspective.

Photo Taken By: Denise Williams

A whole new world is available to you on a kayak. Bigger boats can't go into shallow water like a kayak can, and boats with motors scare off wildlife. If you go slowly enough, you can get pretty close to birds, turtles, and even see fish beneath you if you're in the right area.

Building connections.

media.defense.gov

Kayaking can be a solo or group activity. Nothing forces bonding and teamwork like sharing a tandem kayak. Whether you prefer to go it alone or with friends, remember that whoever sits in the back gets to steer.

Inexpensive fun.

farm8.staticflickr.com

If you don't happen to own your own kayak, many lakes have outdoor recreational companies that are happy to rent you one. Prices vary depending on where you go, but the average appears to be about $15 for the first hour for a solo kayak, and $10 for each additional. If you go with friends, tandem is cheaper (for a tandem it's $20, but that's for two people as opposed to each getting their own for a total of $30). If you're lucky, you can befriend someone with a kayak and borrow it for free!

Stay cool.

cdn.pixabay.com

Summers are usually hot, and when you kayak you are guaranteed to get water on you. While you aren't going to be as cool as you would be swimming, being on the water will help you escape some of the heat. Be sure to wear sunscreen though! The reflection can give you a nasty sunburn.

Feel like an explorer.

live.staticflickr.com

Most of us aren't Indiana Jones or Steve Irwin. However, with a kayak and the right terrain you can feel like them! As you quietly make your way across still waters into the trees, it's easy to let your imagination have a little fun.

There you have it! 8 awesome reasons to go kayaking this summer! Did I mention it's easy? Did I mention it's fun? A common fear with kayaking is that you'll flip over. Kayaks are designed to not tip over. Unless you are trying very hard to do so, you will stay upright and be just fine. Now, go have an adventure!