Why You Should Follow Your Dreams

Why You Should Follow Your Dreams

Believe in yourelf, even when no one else does

19
Why You Should Follow Your Dreams
Amanda Sankey

“I hope you find a rich husband”

“That major is as good as not having one”

“You can’t do that. You can’t be serious enough for that.”

“You need to get real.”

I am a big believer that you should follow your dreams. And that you should never, ever put down the dreams of others. Who are you to say what they can and cannot do? Who are you to limit anyone? Who is anyone to limit you?

Even before I could read, I would read. My mother would read me the same book often, and so I memorized it. I wanted to make her think I could read. So I pretended. I wanted so badly to be able to read. And once I finally began my long (sometimes seemingly never ending) education process that was school, I learned how to read. And read I did. I would come home from school in the first grade and read "Junie B. Jones," and "The Magic Tree House." I would sit in my room and read. I would lay on my brother’s bed and read. I would sprawl out on the kitchen chairs and read. Not to brag, but in the second grade, I was reading at a fifth-grade level. And before I knew it, I was writing.

And I haven’t stopped.

My teacher entered me in my first writing competition when I was in the third grade. Ever since my teachers have been encouraging me. They would tell me how good I was at writing. They would brag to the entire class about my work. They would tell me not to stop. It was amazing to hear these kinds of encouragements. To hear I was good at something, something I enjoyed doing.

Why isn’t that more of a thing? Why don’t we, as a society, not just encourage others, but really push them to pursue their passions?

I am a firm believer that people should do what they want. (With exceptions of course.) But with most things, most times, DO WHAT YOU WANT. You only live once; why live by the rules and boundaries set by others? Find {at least} one thing that you are passionate about. Something that has nothing to do with any person. Something that is yours. Something that brings you utter, pure, unadulterated joy. And pursue it relentlessly.

I believe you have these passions for a reason. I believe if you love something to such an extreme, there is a reason. This is why I say to follow your dreams: because God gave them to you. God gave everyone talents. And maybe yours isn’t a showy talent, one that requires people to see, hear, or read. But everyone has something they are good at. And God wants you to glorify Him with this God given talent. We are told in the Bible to be humble. But that does not mean to hide your talents, or dismiss them when someone acknowledges what you’re good at.

Goodness knows that God did not, by any means, bless me with the ability to dance. I actually look like a seal that thinks it belongs on land and is trying its darnedest to move around. I step on feet, I fall when dipped, and harm others as well as myself. But that’s OK, because I can write. God gave me that talent. And by golly, I’m gonna pursue it with everything I’ve got.

It’s a good thing that I don’t care what people say or think. But it can be pretty disheartening when all I ever hear people say is that my major is not a good decision. That I will never find a job. That I am making a mistake. But I am not one to change my mind, my decisions, or my path based on outside thoughts and opinions. Go ahead and think I am stupid for majoring in creative writing because it’s my life. Not yours. It’s my “mistake.” And I’m going to make it.

I believe, aside from God, the strongest, most influential force in this world is words. You can encourage a life, or end one, by what you say. You read all day every day. You check your phone, and you’re reading. You drive down the road passing signs, and you’re reading. The most important tangible thing on this earth is made up of words, The Holy Bible. You speak, you hear, you read, and you write. Words have power.

This is why I am a creative writing major.

So next time before telling someone their passions are wrong, ask them why they feel so inclined towards their dreams. And don’t you ever let anyone tell you that you are wrong. Think about your dreams; ask yourself why you have them. And above all, follow them.