Should Award Shows Get Political?

Should Award Shows Get Political?

America has a lot to say.

25
Should Award Shows Get Political?
ISTOCK/EDSTOCK
A lot of people are saying right now that actors shouldn't express their opinions when it comes to politics. But the truth is, actors are activists no matter what, and we embody the worth and humanity of all people.
- Kerry Washington

“I don’t want politics mixed with my award shows”. You hear this the day after every award show airs, coming from the mouth of Tomi Lahren dopplegangers who spend their days boycotting Beyoncé, reading articles from Breitbart, and window shopping at anyplace but Nordstrom.

It seems that there is an award show every week in the first few months of the year. From the Academy Awards to the Grammys, talented individuals are awarded for their excellence in the arts. But as the social climate heats up we observe how world issues affect televised events like these.

Every time there is a major event in the world, society has a tendency to look to those who are famous for reactions. The moment someone notable dies, an act of terror occurs, or Beyoncé announces she’s pregnant with twins, we jump on Twitter to see which celebrities are offering their condolences or congratulations. And we notice when our favorite celebrities say nothing.

After November’s head spinning election and the inauguration that followed, America watched as celebrities voiced their thoughts on the state of our country. Most memorably, Meryl Streep lighting up Donald Trump on the Golden Globe stage while receiving her lifetime achievement award.

"It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter. Someone he outranked in privilege, power and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can’t get it out of my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life."

This was followed by the 45th President of the United States throwing a tantrum on Twitter upon finding out.

So the question is: Are award shows the place for politics? The Hollywood Reporter surveyed a group of 800 U.S. voters regarding politics and film and found that 66% of Trump supporters “turned off their TV sets because of an actor giving a political speech at the podium.” Well, with the country being as divided as it is, protests occurring every day, laws protecting the most vulnerable in this country being overturned, losing the respect of country’s we used to be able to call allies, and our President having a bad case of Twitter fingers (and a 38% approval rating), America has a lot to say.

What better time to make a statement condemning inequality and hatred, than when the privileged and elite feel the most comfortable. Watching the Golden Globes, with men and women in long flowing dresses and pressed white shirts, reciting speeches thanking the Academy and God, a facade is put on as if everything in the world is rainbows and sunshine. When right outside those walls the immigrants who make this country what it is are having their visa's revoked, the government is refusing to protect trans people, and black folks are being brutalized by the police. Usually a white host stands on the stage and delivers a comedic commentary on social issues but people rarely pay attention, and it often seems like a mockery. But, with millions of people watching, it is the opportunity for actors to get serious and say something.

Right now is the perfect time to speak up. Conservatives want to enjoy life and act as if the world isn’t a mess and racism doesn’t exist, just like they have for the past 300 years. Challenging white racial expectations and the entitlement to racial comfort is necessary to make any progress. At a time when white folks receive acting roles meant for people of color, and profit off of cultural music and aesthetics, using their platform to stand up against white supremacy and hatred would at least be something.