How to Shop: Internet VS. In-Store

How to Shop: Internet VS. In-Store

The Pros and Cons of shopping online and in-store.

5
How to Shop: Internet VS. In-Store
TechRasa

With Christmas closing in, the number one thing that's on everyone's mind (that is if you're not thinking about college applications) is gifts. For those last minute gifters, it's important to know where you can get the best deals.

Internet:

It's my personal preference to get most of my things online. Not only is it easier to get exactly what you're looking for, but if you look hard enough, you can get some bargain deals. Just last week, I ordered a set of six assorted leggings for around $25. Had I shopped in store, I bet the lowest I could get is two leggings for the price of one, which I can estimate is around $10. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out the savings there.

Of course, there are some things you need to worry about. You certainly shouldn't be buying something two days before you need it, unless you're confident that it will be at your door within that time. That sort of confidence in shipments is rare. Fit is also a huge concern if you're purchasing clothing, so my best suggestions are a) for shirts, always try and get a size bigger than you normally are, b) always check customer's comments on the product, and c) avoid buying pants. Though I've never had a problem purchasing shoes, getting fitted pants such as skinny jeans have never worked out in my favor, so I stick to the stores for things like that.

Stores:

I will admit, I was never a huge fan of publicly shopping. For me, going through aisles is nerve-racking, especially if the place is crowded, and there's often not much that I can get with $20 in hand. There are, however, circumstances where in-store shopping far out-beats what you can surf for online: places like thrift stores (which, I have noticed, have become a rather popular destination for the rising old-fashioned culture) and small businesses often offer great deals for unique pieces. Small businesses can also be much quieter and more relaxing than big name stores, where a lot of people are likely going to flood within the next few weeks for the last minute deals. Though it's great that chain stores are coming out with good deals, it's important to realize that everyone else is in the same boat as you are, and the racks can clear out faster that you can say "bargain price".

Shopping style really just depends on personal preferences. If you shop best in high-pressure situations, or if you've got this manic drive that you have full faith in for getting your shopping done, then by all means, print out your coupons and start driving. If, however, you get freaked out by chaos, pressure, large bodies of people, and/or your wallet is stuffed with a million receipts rather than actual cash, I'd suggest searching the internet.

If you don't fit any of these and your only concern is getting your college applications finished, then it's probably in your best interest to ignore this entire article, close this window, and get back to work.