Shoot Your Shot 2k17

Shoot Your Shot 2k17

May the odds be forever in your favor.

214
Shoot Your Shot 2k17
Twitter

If you, like me, are on your way to becoming a 2017 graduate in the spring, I write this for you as a warning.

Graduating Seniors, Beware.

It’s almost time for the final “shoot your shot” to commence. However, this go around will be a little different. It won’t be some random guy on Twitter sliding in the DMs. It’s going to be one of your old boo thangs, probably one who screwed you over Freshman or Sophomore year, coming to try and redeem themselves before that walk across the undergraduate stage.

You see, we have one more semester of school left, and it’s officially “I’m about to graduate anyway, what have I got to lose?” season.

It will start subtly, probably within the next few weeks. It’s the Holidays, they know that you’re filled with warmth and happiness from being away from school and around your family which is the perfect time to attack. They’ll probably hit you up on Snapchat, sending you a quick heart eyes emoji when you post a selfie. If they’re really bold, they might send you a “hey, stranger,” text possibly accompanied with “tell the fam I said hey.” This will keep them in the back of your mind so that they can really get at you when y’all are back at school.

Now, you may be thinking why? Why would they do this? The answer is actually quite simple. Too many men realized they spent their undergrad years being a hoe, and now they have one semester to find wifey. Too many women realized that they aren’t in the running for a “ring by spring,” and now, they’re playing catch up. While all of this is true, the final shoot your shot doesn’t have to be something you lose sleep over as long as you make sure you know the signs.

When the guy you could barely get a hello from in public all of a sudden wants to wine and dine you, beware. When the girl who only responded to your text messages when you were offering free food all of a sudden wants to spend quality time with you, beware. When the guy you’ve been wanting to act right for the past three years finally tells you he’s done playing, beware! That’s not to say that people can’t change, but let’s be real, nine times out of 10, it’s a set up.

I want everyone to be successful and finish their college career strong. However, in order to do that, you have to recognize the signs. Remember why you stopped talking to them in the first place. Do not get lost in the sauce of idealizing someone who isn’t for you. Because you know it’s that time of year, stay alert. Be ready for the devil’s games. Play smart, play safe, and never let them see your spades.

May the odds be forever in your favor.