Dear Shonda Rhimes ... Thank You

Dear Shonda Rhimes ... Thank You

Thank you for all that you've done for minorities

29
Dear Shonda Rhimes ... Thank You
The best stories are often true.. the narrative of human life is most beautiful when told truthfully and without boundaries.- Shonda Rhimes

Dear Shonda Rhimes,

Thank you so much for all you have done for minorities. You have been a voice for women, African Americans, LGBTQs and more. You have given people characters to look up to, conversations to listen in on and experiences to relate to.

Dear Shonda Rhimes,

Thank you for creating Grey's Anatomy.

Thank you for creating the characters Arizona and Callie and opening up the conversation for lesbians. Too often they are forgotten in the media. Thank you for giving them power, grace, intelligence, beauty, and love. Thank you for not molding them into the stereotype.

Thank you for creating a character with a prosthetic. Thank you for showing the world that losing a limb does not define you nor diminish your quality of life. Thank you for making Arizona strong and brave. Thank you for allowing the world to see a beautiful woman overcome her obstacle.

Thank you for giving women powerful roles within the hospital. Thank you for giving the chief position to a woman. Thank you for showing viewers that women are perfectly capable of holding leadership positions in what is still considered a man's world. In addition, thank you for creating male nurses. Nursing is still considered largely a female role while surgeons are considered predominantly male. Thank you for changing the narrative.

Thank you for telling the story of April saving herself for marriage. Thank you for giving girls a character who upheld her religious beliefs and was still able to find relationships. Society fuels sexuality in such a way that girls and boys rarely find someone to look up to for their abstinence.

Thank you for giving us a character who lost her baby. Thank you for giving women a character who was unable to birth a child, and move forward. April embodies a woman who as much as she did everything right during pregnancy, still birthed a baby unfit for life. Women often blame themselves for unhealthy children or losing a child during pregnancy or birth. But sometimes it wasn't their fault at all.

Dear Shonda Rhimes,

Thank you for giving us the world of Olivia Pope. Thank you for putting an African American woman in a powerful governmental position. Thank you for making her assertive, empowered, loving, beautiful and intelligent. She holds power in a man's world and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

Thank you for giving Olivia Pope flaws. She doesn't always make the right choices and sometimes follows her heart over her brain, like many women. She doesn't try to be anything other than herself. Thank you for giving women a character who doesn't always sacrifice love for work or work for love.

Thank you for mirroring the real world in your episodes. Thank you for addressing political issues without pointing fingers or blame. Thank you for providing an outlet for conversations on the subjects people are too often afraid to discuss.

Thank you for giving Olivia the choice for an abortion. Thank you for having her debate back and forth and thank you for ultimately choosing the abortion. Thanking you for showing a case in which a woman isn't caught up in emotion when coming to the decision. Thank you for showing a woman making a choice that is best for her and the father.

Dear Shonda Rhimes,

Thank you for creating a law show that shows the true life in a lawyer's world. Thank you for not making it look fun and easy all the time. Thank you for creating competition and characters that mirror the life of real lawyers and students.

Thank you for making the law professor not only a woman but also African American. Thank you for giving the character a personal life outside of her career. Thank you for making her powerful and intelligent. Thank you for giving her credentials that prove that law is no longer a man's world.

Dear Shonda Rhimes,

Thank you for creating characters time and time again who tell the story of our nation. Thank you for creating characters that start narratives and confront issues. Thank you for never being afraid to push the envelope. Thank you for giving everyone someone to look up to and someone to relate to. Thank you for creating diversity in television.

And thank you for keeping me entertained for years.