I Interviewed Author D.E. Night To Shine A Light On Her Novel, 'The Crowns Of Croswald'

This up and coming author is creating a new fictional universe.

240
Instagram / @author.delight

D. E Night is a new children's author who released her novel, "The Crowns of Croswald" just in time for National Reading Month. The first couple of questions were personal to let you get to know her. Then we moved on to questions on the book!

1. What first inspired you to write?

"I’ve always been passionate about the magic of imagination and drawn to all things whimsical. But I was inspired to finally put pen to paper after coming home from an animated movie — I wanted to write a story about a school for princesses! I consider that the day my true-to-self life began.

"In Croswald, words are the core of Croswald’s magic: reading, writing and recording. In fact, a quill is the primary tool that scrivenists use to cast spells, create beautiful renderings called sketches, stir potions, and (of course) write all about it!

"Now, writing as magic has a very personal meaning for me. As someone who has struggled with social anxiety her whole life, I started writing because it was an outlet for my creative brain, but one that was private, away from where anyone could see. Writing became an escape and one I looked forward to every day. I really look forward to seeing where the story will take me every day!"

2. Have you always wanted to write? If not, what did you want to do?

"I always knew that I wanted to create something. What that something was, I didn’t know until Ivy Lovely showed up into my life! I graduated college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, which has helped me significantly handling the business side of publishing. I’m a self-published author and so marketing my book is as much a job as writing it! Though business wasn’t my true passion, I don’t regret any decision, as they all led me to Croswald."

3. I know you write fantasy, but is that your favorite genre?

"Fantasy, fantasy, fantasy. If we’re not talking about books –– I do love a good horror movie!"

4. Favorite childhood book?

"I really loved 'Are You My Mother' by P.D. Eastman. As evident by my writing, I have a love of animals and creatures: in fact, I have my own menagerie at home. Two dogs and two cats! But what I loved most about this particular story is the baby bird’s determination. He sets out on a mission, a journey, and stops at nothing in search of his mother. It’s how I feel about chasing dreams! Never give up."

5. What are your favorite books or authors now?

"I’m a huge fantasy lover. Some of my favorites include Marissa Meyer’s Lunar Chronicles and Kiera Cass’s  Selection series. I usually tend to pick up anything inspired by classic fairytale or retellings! Or anything with a beautiful book cover! I really loved Wonder by R. J. Palacio, but who doesn’t."

SEE ALSO: Introducing Meg De Grant: And Up And Coming Author To Look Out For

6. What’s something you think readers should know about you or your writing?

"I want readers to know that my goal is to create a whole, immersive world — the Crosworld! Also, I want them to know how grateful I am that they took a chance and read The Crowns of Croswald! Your comments and encouragement are fuel to my fire! And I really think readers are going to love book two even more! I do! ☺"

7. Preferred working conditions?

"I’m most productive in the early morning, in a quiet room with my dog cuddled up at my feet, and a hot cup of coffee (Spinner’s Foam!) in hand!"

8. They say writing reveals more about the author. Do you agree? What does your work reveal about you?

"I believe this wholeheartedly. Before I started writing, I was always ashamed of my anxieties. I never spoke up. Croswald became my voice. I think there is a real vulnerability in writing –– I’m a really, really private person –– and letting people (encouraging them to, even) to get to know me deeply for the first time is crazy, but cool! Everything I ever wanted to create but was too afraid to act on has been weaved throughout the story.

"For example, my love of fashion design is now Rebecca’s (Ivy’s best friend) passion. The slurry fields and how they’ve masked Ivy’s magic for her entire life is symbolic of my own anxieties masking my own hidden abilities. It’s been a huge leap of faith to trust my gut and share Croswald, to share me, with the world. My own version of crossing the slurry fields!"

13. What is your book about?

"'The Crowns of Croswald' is about a young girl who discovers she has magical powers. After crossing a magical boundary, her powers awaken, leading her crashing through a series of adventures at the Halls of Ivy, a school where students learn to master their magical blood and stones. Ivy’s life is threatened by the Dark Queen, and she must uncover the truth about her family’s history, before the truth is swept away forever!"

14. How do you think your book stands out from other fantasy/adventure stories?

"What makes 'The Crown of Croswald' stand out from other fantasy/adventure stories is the richness of the world. Croswald itself is as much a character as anyone else. You won’t find wands, flying broomsticks, or wizards in Croswald, but what you will find are scrivenists: people with magical blood who have a love for writing and discovery. Or glanagerie bottles, for example, (my favorite element!) that sweeps you inside the bottle to experience a whole new world, created by the bottle owner, only limited by imagination.

"I like to encourage imagination and discovery, and that’s a lot of my motivation and inspiration behind the story. Even discovery within one’s self and their individual importance."

SEE ALSO: Have A Slice Of Life From This Slice-Of-Life Author: Stephanie Perry Moore

15. Some see fantasy as childish. What would you say to those people?

"I guess I’m the “Peter Pan” of the real world: I never want to grow up! I’m not only writing for my own personal joy, I’m writing fantasy because I’ve witnessed the emotional impact Croswald has on young readers.

"I recently visited a book club where a young girl wrote me, thanking me for creating a character that was there for her when she needed her most. ☺ Besides, I always grew up believing that with magic, anything is possible. I’ve always viewed fantasy as possibility. Plus, truth is still truth, even in a magical kingdom. For example, friendship and being true to yourself are important things in Croswald and 'real life,'"

16. What gave you the idea for the series?

"I knew I wanted to write a series about a kick-butt heroine that young girls could look up to. I think stories nowadays are getting darker and darker, and I wanted to create a feel good story, a place where readers can escape to and leave feeling inspired and empowered. I can’t say that I ever imagined the story turning out as it did; it evolved overtime. That’s the great part about writing! You never know where you’re going to end up or who you’re going to meet!"

17. How would you encourage teenagers to read?

"I can really relate to this question, because as a teenager, I was one of those who were 'turned off' to reading at an earlier stage in my life. When told to read in school, I wasn’t given a choice and so I ended up reading books that didn’t appeal to me. I think it’s important to give teenagers the choice of genre so that they can easily fall in love with what makes them happiest."

18. What other projects are you working on?

"I’m currently finishing up book two in the Croswald series, designing a hardcover for book one, launching an online Croswald shop in the near future and I’ll soon begin writing book three! Busy, busy!"

19. When should we expect the next book?

"The next book will likely be released in January 2019! I can’t wait!"

20. Will your future books, beyond The Croswald series, be middle grade or do you think you’ll write for different age ranges?

"I think middle grade fantasy is my specialty. I’ll probably stick to that, but you never know! Like I said, I never imagined the story as it is now. I’ll let Croswald lead me! I do plan to expand on the Crosworld, that’s for sure!"

21. Do you have a message you want to tell people in the book community?

"THANK YOU! I’m so incredibly grateful for readers and other authors’ support! Being a debut author is pretty intimidating, especially knowing how many great writers and stories there are out there, but I do what I do because I love it."

22. What social media can readers find you on?

Facebook: D.E. Night

Instagram: @author.denight

Twitter: @authordenight

www.DENight.com

The book is available now wherever books are sold!