5 Lessons We Could All Learn From Shelter Dogs

Sometimes animals can teach us the most profound lessons.

12
Sheridan Thompson

Recently I adopted a dog from the shelter. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. Just in the couple weeks I have had her, she has taught me some poignant life lessons.

1. Stay kind.

I'm not sure what all my dog has been through, but I imagine she hasn't had an easy life. She's very timid and shy around men, perhaps because she was abused by a man, I'm not really sure. However, even after going through hard times she managed to stay kind. She is so loving to everyone and gentle, when I'm sure it would be easy to become mean and defensive.

2. Don't fight back.

This one is a hard lesson for me. When someone hurts me my immediate response is to hurt them back. Yet when we brought my dog home our other dogs were not very happy and one of them attacked her, but she didn't even attempt to fight back. She just looked shocked and took it.

3. Quick to forgive.

When I leave I have to put her in her kennel, but she never holds that against me. If I accidentally step on her paws, she is quick to forgive me. Yet for me it is hard to forgive others, especially if they have hurt me or someone I love. It takes me some time to forgive.

4. Doesn't judge anyone.

My dog loves everyone and shows everyone love no matter what they look like. She doesn't care if someone looks different or seems a little odd. She treats everyone the same and shows them all the highest degree of love. I wish I could say the same about myself...

5. Always willing to share.

Our other dogs like to take my dog's bones or take over her doggy bed, but she just looks at them with a puzzled expression and walks away. She doesn't fight, get mad, or show possession of anything. Her willingness to share is another expression of her big heart and kind nature.

My dog is teaching me to be a kinder, more loving and accepting person. Her example of kindness is inspiring and heartwarming. I'll probably never be as good as her, but I can be better because of her.