How to be Your Best Self, According To Sheldon Cooper

Searching for advice? Look no further than Dr. Sheldon Cooper!
45

Sometimes, we can look to the most unassuming of fictional characters for the best real-life advice. Dr. Sheldon Cooper of the popular show Big Bang Theory is one of those characters. Here are some of the best tidbits he's provided us with over the years:

1. Always be prepared

It never hurts to take a few extra steps that will make life easier for yourself in the end. As Sheldon says, "Never leave home without a paper clip."

2. Ask for help if you need it

Sheldon may be a genius but, as his friends and family know, he can't do everything by himself. Sheldon has learned that if he is considerate and thankful for the help his friends give, they are every bit willing to take him along to work or to the comic book store on new comic book night.

3. Allow yourself to be vulnerable

Just as Sheldon discovered through his relationship with Amy, opening yourself up to someone that you trust can result in a more personal and rewarding connection with them.

4. Stand up for what you believe in

Sheldon isn't afraid to stand his ground for what he believes is right, and neither should you be!

5. Try your best to be selfless

Just as Sheldon did when the gang left a pregnant Bernadette behind to go wine-tasting, take some extra steps to help your friends out when they need someone to lean on. Often, just as Sheldon did, you'll end up happier in the end as well!

6. Do what you love

Does Sheldon care that some people find his internet show about flags to be weird? No he does not! He keeps doing it because he loves it! Not only that, but his friends also agreed to take part in it, proving that if someone is meant to be a part of your life, they will accept you for who you really are.

7. Be active

Although his experiences with physical activity have often been less than successful, Sheldon continues to try new and inventive ways of being active.

8. Put yourself outside your comfort zone

Most of us are capable of more than we think we are, just as Sheldon discovered when he had to care for an injured Penny whose tub was without adhesive ducks.

9. Admit it when you're wrong

Though it is rare that he does it, Sheldon has learned the power of owning up to his mistakes and the difference that a simple apology can make.

10. Celebrate your role models

Role models can help inspire us to strive for goals that we might never have though possible before. Whether it is someone as well-known as Stephen Hawking or not, sometimes it helps to find someone whose life endeavors make you want to reach for the stars.

11. Trust your gut

If there's one thing Sheldon doesn't lack, it's confidence. Don't waste our time questioning yourself when you could be changing the world!

12. Expand your horizons

Often we find ourselves in the same old routine, but why do that when there is so much to learn?

13. Celebrate yourself

Take a second each day to acknowledge your strengths. Sheldon is not afraid to brag about himself, and it adds to his confidence. You go through a lot on a daily basis and you should reward yourself for getting through it.