Shea Moisture's Hair Hate Ad: Where Were We?

Has Shea Moisture gone too far?

58
Mirror

It seems as Shea Moisture has gotten themselves into hot water with almost everyone with their most recent ad. There is so much backlash towards the company on social media that I personally cannot keep up.

After I viewed the promotional ad multiple times, I thought about what, why, and how does it affect me.

Looking back at the past, I can remember being introduced to Shea Moisture by my older sister when I first transitioned to be natural in 2012. She told me that she has heard great things about the product from other African American women who has our hair texture (type 4), and that I should try it. The first collection that I used was the Raw Shea Butter line. My hair immediately loved the shampoo and the deep conditioner mask because it was really dry and damaged from the two textures.

I then looked up the products on Youtube and saw a lot of African American men and women endorsing the product, saying many great things about the various collections the company offered. As many people, I loved that the line was completely natural. They all contained mostly raw, natural ingredients that made my hair and others' smile.

But over the years, I noticed that Shea Moisture's marketing strategy was leaning towards a more diverse audience. By doing so, they created more collections that geared towards hair textures that are less curly or coily, a men's line, a baby's line, body and bath, skin care, and cosmetics.

Personally, I think that it is a great marketing strategy, for the company. Thinking for the benefit and growth of a company, it is a common goal to one day expand the options to build a larger audience and a larger profit.

But here is where it gets sticky. In the process of the change in Shea Moisture's strategy, many loyal African American users were slowly turning away. Some feel that it is a sense of betrayal and disconnect. Most of their promotional materials are showing that they are all about diversity.

Here is what I think.

Shea Moisture is a great company. They offer a great selection for all hair types and conditions. In the past, I liked their commercials, which showed the importance and awareness of how we as African American men and women are secluded within the beauty aisle. And that is not how it should be in stores. It is important for African American women to feel beauty with our hair texture, especially being in a world where other races are looking down upon our textures and styles.

What that in mind, I was on the fence mentally about their most recent promotional ad. I was not sure if I hated it, or loved it. But now that I think about it, I am not completely in love with it.

Where were we?

It is not because they included Caucasian girls in the ad, it is the overall message and representation. I felt that they should have included all hair textures and types, just as they have done in the past.

The message was about women not being pleased with their hair, and how Shea Moisture has helped them embrace their hair with confidence.

I understand that every woman here on Earth has had a time where she was displeased with her hair. I have my moments as well. But, I would have liked to see a variety of women speaking about their hair, especially African American women who are constantly being told that our hair is not accepted.

It just does not seem fair to us, especially when we are the ones using their products the most.

Where were we?