shawn mendes new album
Music

Heartthrob Singer Shawn Mendes Is Re-Vamping His Sound And We're All Here For It

Our hearts will be needing "Stitches" after hearing how good his new album is.

115
shawn mendes singer

At this point in time, I think the majority of the world knows who Shawn Mendes is. If you're reading this and happen to not who he is, he's this guy:

Also known as the talented singer who created the legendary bop of our generation "Stitches."

This past Friday, Shawn Mendes released his third album, self-titled "Shawn Mendes." According to Mendes via Twitter when asked why this album is self-titled, he claimed, "I wanted to stamp this moment in time at 19 because I've never felt so true to myself."

Throughout this album, one can see how in touch Mendes is with himself and how comfortable he is with his storytelling of personal experiences. Overall, Shawn Mendes's growth as an artist and singer/songwriter is truly evident with each song and lyric.

Prior to his self-entitled album and rise to stardom, Shawn Mendes was just an ordinary young man who liked to sing and mainly started out on Youtube and Vine. From that moment forward, it was the start of something new for Mendes.

After branching out from Vine, Shawn Mendes pursued his music career and started by opening for other artists such as Austin Mahone. Later, he then released his first ever EP titled "The Shawn Mendes EP." Following his EP, Mendes would continue to release singles, which would lead up to his first full-length album, "Handwritten."

His progress as an artist did not stop there, in which he then accompanied Taylor Swift for her "1989" tour as an opening act. A year later, Mendes then released his second album "Illuminate."

From "Handwritten," "Illuminate," and self-titled "Shawn Mendes," one can see how Mendes has matured over the past three years, personally and musically.

From the start of his career, his fanbase has mostly consisted of teenagers and younger. Yes, there are fans who are older but for the most part, the younger generation has been drawn to Shawn Mendes not only through his good looks and personality but through his music as well.

However, over these past few albums, one can tell that Shawn is trying to steer away from being this mainstream pop artist with a fanbase solely consisting of 12-year-olds. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having a young fan base, but like Mendes and other music artists, they want to be taken more seriously as artists in general and be able to apply their songs and lyrics universally.

Essentially, that is the idea Shawn Mendes's self-entitled album embodies. Unlike "Stitches" and "Treat You Better," this album is definitely different to his past music. Not only is Mendes trying to be respected more as a young rookie artist in the music industry, but he is also showing the world his true talent, what he can do with it, and where he can take it.

Through Kings of Leon vibes in "In My Blood," and jazzy Justin Timberlake feels in "Lost in Japan," Shawn Mendes is breaking out of his shell and comfort zone not only through new raw experiences and stories but also a new revamped sound that we're all here for — and this is only the start of an era.