Bahamian Runner, Shaunae Miller, Dives Across The Finish Line For Gold

One of the most dramatic endings to a race the Olympics has ever seen.

26
abcnews.com

The 400-meter dash took place in Rio on Monday, the 16th of August. The event is going down in history as one of the most dramatic endings to a race the Olympics has ever seen.

Bahamian runner, Shaunae Miller, took a last minute dive across the finish line, and earned herself a gold medal. America's heavily decorated olympic runner, Allyson Felix, looked set to win the race, but Miller's demonstration of inspirational motivation paid off.

While I am sad that Felix was unable to bring home another win for the good 'ole USA, it's truly inspiring to see someones hard work aid them in achieving their dreams. She wanted it just a little bit more, and she was willing to get a little beat up in the process. That is someone anyone can look up to.

This was the 22-year-old's best performance in an international competition yet, as well a personal best record in the event.

She started the race off strong, but had appeared to be struggling to maintain her speed. Nonetheless, she persevered and pushed herself to stay neck and neck with Felix all the way to the finish line. When Felix Leaned in for the gold, Miller dove for it. A shocking move that earned this motivational woman a medal for The Bahamas.

"I’ve never done it before. I have some cuts and bruises -- a few burns. It hurts. When I was on the ground, I didn't know I’d won. I still don’t know how it happened. What was in my mind was I had to get a gold medal. The next thing I was on the ground. It’s an amazing feeling,” Miller said.

While diving across the finish line is definitely uncommon, Miller did not violate any Olympic Track and Field rules or decorum. It's not the first time we've seen this in an international competition, and it will probably not be the last.

Internet trolls, of course, jumped on this opportunity to bash Miller and claim she 'robbed' Felix of the race. Many are claiming that it is unfair, and should in fact be an illegal tactic for a foot race. However, I disagree. She took a leap of faith, literally, and earned her title.

Congratulations, Miller! You're an inspiration to many, and I am sure you will go on to continuously achieve your dreams. Do not let anyone dull your sparkle -- it's your time to shine!