Shark Week 2016 New Episode Schedule

Shark Week 2016 New Episode Schedule

Cue "Jaws" theme music.

20
Duncan Brake

It's the most wonderful time of the year- Shark Week! Shark Week is arriving early this year to kick off your summer. The 29th annual series is bringing back some of your favorites, including "Air Jaws" and "Monster Mako," and introducing some new shows, like "Shark Bait" and "Shark vs Dolphins: Face Off." Tune into Discovery Channel and get ready for a week full of shark fin fun! Here's your guide to all of the new episodes for Shark Week 2016.

Sunday June 26

"Tiger Beach," 8/7c

Dr. Neil Hammerschlag, the world's leading tiger shark expert, is on a quest to learn more about the mating and birthing habits of tiger sharks. By tracking and tagging 40 sharks in the Bahamas, he hopes to find out where tiger sharks mate, where the pregnant females hide, and where they give birth. Tiger sharks are considered the second most dangerous shark (behind great whites), so expect to see some aggressive shark action.

"The Return of the Monster Mako," 9/8c

Watch as a team of marine biologists attempts to document the predatory habits of a thousand pound mako shark. This mako shark is referred to as a "grander," which means that it is at least 10 feet long and weighs at least 1,000 pounds. Sharks this large are very elusive and prefer to hunt large prey, like seals. The team must enter the waters of the East Coast after dark in hopes of catching any footage.

"Isle of Jaws," 10/9c

Neptune Islands, off the coast of South Australia, are known for having a large concentration of great white sharks. However, in 2016, renowned shark cinematographer Andy Casagrande noticed a mysterious absence of sharks on the island. Traveling along the known great white migration route, he discovered a large gathering of all male great white sharks near an uncharted island. With the help of marine biologist Dr. Jonathon Werry, Casagrande hopes to do what no one else has been able to do -- find out where great whites mate and where they have their young.

Monday June 27

"Shallow Water Invasion," 8/7c

Seals have been a a favorite prey of great whites for a long time. Great whites commonly lurk around islands inhabited by seals, and have even been filmed jumping out of the water to capture a seal. But two marine biologists have uncovered new feeding habits of great whites- the sharks are snatching seals from shallow water on the beach. Mauricio Hoyos and Grant Johnson travel to Guadalupe Island to learn more about the increasing frequency of shark encounters in the shallow coastline waters.

"Jaws of the Deep," 9/8c

Marine biologist and the REMUS shark cam team head to Guadalupe to track the world’s largest great white shark, Deep Blue. With the help of two robot submarines, the team captures footage of the great white hunting strategies. Recorded from depths of 300 feet to 2,000 feet, the gathered footage provides the team with information on the great white activity in the area.

"Sharks Among Us," 10/9c

Human shark encounters have been rising around the world. To combat public fears, sharks are being killed by culling or with drumlines. Dr. Craig O’Connel debuts a system that he believes will allow humans and sharks to live in peace.

Tuesday June 28

"Wrath of a Great White Serial Killer," 9/8c

The Pacific Northwest is playing host to an increasing number of great white sharks. Shark experts Ralph Collier and Brandon McMillian set out to discover why great whites are traveling farther north than normal, and why their activity is centered in this particular area.

"Air Jaws: Night Stalker," 10/9c

For the eighth "Air Jaws" adventure, a shark expert, a shark biologist, and a shark photographer team up to discover how great white sharks can hunt in total darkness.

Wednesday June 29

"Deadliest Shark," 9/8c

Dr. Michael Domeier and Dr. Barry Bruce are out to see if the oceanic white tip shark, dubbed the “World’s Deadliest Shark,” really lives up to its nickname. The pair will dive in the Bahamas and in Hawaii to learn more about this rare species.

"Shark vs Dolphins: Face Off," 10/9c

Dolphins have shared ocean space with sharks for hundreds of years, but their relationship is anything but amicable. Sharks frequently attack dolphins, resulting in brutal scarring and occasional death. Dr. Mike Heithaus and his team go deeper into the violent relationship between sharks and dolphins to discover a pattern behind the attacks.

Thursday June 30

"Nuclear Sharks," 9/8c

A husband and wife team travel with a marine biologist to explore Bikini Atoll, an area once destroyed by Cold War nuclear testing. Since then, the marine ecosystem has rebuilt itself and attracted a population of reef sharks. The mysterious part? Reef sharks are considered non-migratory animals, yet they would have had to migrate to establish a population here. Through tagging the sharks and documenting their movements, an illegal fishing fleet is uncovered that has been taking sharks from one of the largest Pacific shark sanctuaries in the world.

"Jungle Shark," 10/9c

Marine biologists travel to the rainforests of Costa Rica to study the relationship between bull sharks and crocodiles in the river. The scientists want to know how young bull sharks can swim up the river without being attacked by the 12' to 14' American crocodiles living there. Shark Week will also reveal an important discovery that could save human lives.

Friday July 1

"Shark Bait," 9/8c

The war between great whites and seals continues in a new location- Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Typically, seals targeted by great whites live on rocky islands, so researchers want to know why the battle has suddenly shifted to the sandy coastline. Dr. Greg Skomal travels to the cape to search for answers. Why are the sharks here? How did they learn about the seals here? What does this mean for the future of sharks and seals in the area?

"Blue Serengeti," 10/9c

Barbara Block, a famous marine biologist and shark expert, has been studying the activity of white sharks off the coast of California for 27 years. Thanks to breakthrough camera and tracking technology, she is now able to explore new depths of an area she calls the Blue Serengeti. She has attached cameras to both predators and prey to better understand the environment.

Saturday July 2

"Shark sanity," 9/8c

A compilation of the best clips from Shark Week 2016! The Shark Week staff has compiled the scariest encounters, the coolest technology, and biggest bites for a sharky summary of the week. The favorite episodes in Shark Week history will also be revealed.

Sunday July 3

"The Killing Games," 9/8c

Dr. Johnathan Werry and shark cinematographer Andy Casagrande head to South Australia to research the hunting activity of great whites in the area. It seems that the sharks have developed new hunting techniques -- instead of waiting for seals to enter the water, great whites are now snatching them from the shallow shore. This could indicate the continued evolution of sharks in regards to their prey.

For more Shark Week fun, visit their website.