How Kappa Delta At ULM Made A Difference In Preventing Child Abuse

"Child abuse shatters a child's confidence."

29
Kappa Delta at ULM

This week I decided to write about something that is not only dear to my heart but every Kappa Delta's. Last week, we celebrated Shamrock Week. For those who are not really sure what that is and the importance of it, it is a week dedicated to raising money and awareness for Prevent Child Abuse America. Each chapter of Kappa Delta puts on different events for this great cause. At the end of the week, there is a fun event to raise as much money as possible so that, as a community, we can make a difference in the lives of these children in need.

Our first event of the week was "Splatter Child Abuse," in which anyone could donate a dollar to throw a paint balloon at a wall to create a colorful, paint-splattered work of art. The board was so colorful after we had finished.

Here is one our sisters, Kat, taking a paint-filled water balloon to the head for a donation to our amazing philanthropy. She not only got a donation from the guy who popped it over her head, she also got a free shirt! Way to go, Kat!

The next event was a bake sale where Kappa Deltas baked goodies and sold them for a dollar. It was a great success—I mean, what college student doesn't like cookies?

Here are my sisters Dani Kay and Hanna showing their support at our Shamrock Bake Sale. How cute are they?

On Wednesday, we had a give-back night at a local restaurant. Anyone in the community was able to participate in this, and 15% of their total was given to our philanthropy. Our last, mini-event of the week was "Color Our Letters." Participants would pay a dollar to paint their hand and put it on our letters, which were on display at our 5k on Saturday morning.

This year's 5k color run was so much fun—besides the waking up at 5 but, hey, it was for the kids, so it was worth it. The theme this year was beyond adorable: "Oh, the Places You'll Run!" based on Dr. Seuss's book "Oh the Places You'll Go." The runners had the option to dress up as their favorite Dr. Seuss book or character. Runners dressed up as Thing 1 & Thing 2, the Lorax, and even Grinch (how cute!). The best costume won a prize. It was fun being covered in different colors that we threw on the runners, even though the wind wasn't really our friend when it came to throwing the color. Even cute little dogs were covered in the color chalk.

Here is a picture of my little sis and me after the race had ended. It's always fun living life in color with my little bit.

Prevent Child Abuse America is an amazing organization that we are so proud to support. The statistics of child abuse are so scary and heartbreaking. Kappa Delta helps by providing funds nation-wide and locally. Prevent Child Abuse America helps remove children from horrible situations that can be life-threatening, and gives them a better chance of a future. There are many different resources that anyone can use to help a child who is suffering from any sort of abuse. It is a hard topic for someone to talk about, but it's even harder to sit back and let a terrible thing happen to a child. Be the voice for the children who can't speak.

***** I want to give a HUGE shout out to our VP-Community Service, Kaydee Arnold, for hosting such amazing events throughout the week. Without her, Shamrock would not have gone so well. She did a fantastic job! *****