'Shameless' is An Important TV Show

'Shameless' Can Be Shameful- But It Teaches Some Important Life Lessons

A hysterical, sometimes downright obtrusive, and often even shameful television show, 'Shameless' is a step in the right direction in the teaching of the fact that as humans, we can bounce back from any mistake, even the worst and most seemingly detrimental of all.

21
Instagram: @ShamelessInstagram.com

'Shameless' is a show that I just started getting into. Honestly, the way I discovered it was from simply glancing up every now and then at the living room TV whenever my parents would have it playing as I did my homework at the kitchen table. Although from my own experiences with the show (only catching roughly two full hours of screen time overall), I can not consider myself an expert on it, I can say that just from watching a couple of episodes, I can tell that this groundbreaking TV show carries a whole lot more weight than it may suggest.

'Shameless' is the correct title for this iconic series that will make you laugh as much as it will make you cry. Featuring a broken and slightly dysfunctional South Side Chicago family in upper-class poverty, the Gallagher's are a clan led by a fiery and ferociously independent female lead named Fiona. Fiona, the eldest sister of countless siblings, is forced to take care of her family after their mother ditches them, and their father is a raging, drunken alcoholic. Played by esteemed actress Emmy Rossum, Fiona acts as the leader of her family, having to handle everything and keep everyone sane, as the oldest sister of the group. Frank, Fiona and her siblings' father, repeatedly re-enters their lives, only to bring along with him chaos and stress, but also, many, many laughs.

Every episode features a new storyline and a new plot that is sure to bring excitement, hilarious laughter, joy, and the occasional teardrop or two. I believe personally that Shameless, through a series of unfortunate events which always pan out to teach a lesson, in the end, is a show that truly redefines American culture and illustrates the fact that no matter how rough life gets, it can always get better and you can always have a second chance.

Nothing is too awful that you can't come back from. Alcoholism, addiction, having a baby at an extremely young age- no matter what obstacles you have to overcome or whatever mistakes you commit, you have to continue pushing on and stay strong enough so that you can get through anything. Bonus points if you also have an amazing family to guide you through the tough times.

Never be ashamed of yourself for anything. We all make mistakes. Everyone, at least in my opinion, has something that they truly regret. But, at the end of the day, these mistakes that we hastily mark as 'regrets' make us who we are, and they make us stronger. Whatever sticky situation you land yourself in- you can come back from it and you can still be successful and prosper. This is what 'Shameless' has taught me, and although I always struck it down as something I probably wouldn't enjoy, it's proved to be such an incredible show that has taught me so many lessons within the first couple of episodes, and I cannot wait to see more.