5 Reasons To Celebrate Shakespeare And His Works

Is it too early to celebrate William Shakespeare's birthday?

301
The Literary Mercenary

It may not be the 23rd of April (or the 26th), but that doesn't mean one cannot celebrate William Shakespeare and his accomplished works. For years now, people have read his works, observed his sonnets, and figured out that there are two well-known women named Anne Hathaway (the Oscar-winning actress, and the wife of Shakespeare). Without a doubt, the playwright was good at his craft, disregarding the conspiracies that he was a horrid husband, or that he may or may not have stolen from other writers. Regardless, you don't have to celebrate and admire his works when April arrives. Here are some reasons and ways to celebrate Shakespeare.

1. Smooth pickup lines. Have you ever sent a text message you thought was kind of sweet or romantic? Unfortunately, most likely Shakespeare has you beat when it comes to romantic talk. The playwright was well known for his love sonnets and plays. Ever heard of a little story called Romeo and Juliet? "Give me my Romeo, and when he shall die, Take him and cut him out in little stars, And he will make the face of heaven so fine That all the world will be in love with night And pay no worship to the garish sun."

2. The theories in his work. Was Hamlet just a moody teenager? Was Ophelia's death a suicide or homicide? Was Romeo actually the play's antagonist? For some time now, there has been a significant amount of theories and interpretations surrounding some of Shakespeare's most popular works. Considering the translations or not, readers and critics will always have something to discuss or debate about.

3. You can recite a sonnet. What better way to know his work than to recite and memorize it? By memorizing a lengthy sonnet, it's not only impressive, but it's sure to stick in your head for quite some time. Whether you're trying to impress a significant crush, or just want to show off to friends and family, a sonnet or two can come a long way.

4. Pop culture adores his works. The Lion King is heavily based off Shakespeare's Hamlet (thank goodness the script didn't exactly stick to the original material). From the teen movie, She's the Man, the plot of a woman disguised as a man originates from the play Twelfth Night. Lastly, who can forget the iconic line from the movie Mean Girls where Gretchen exclaims, "We should totally just stab Caesar!", thus having the viewers realize that the film is basically a modernized version of the play Julius Caesar. Through countless channels of entertainment, his work always seems to pop up. It remains relevant.

5. You can read his work. What better way to honor an artist than to engage with their work? His sonnets seem nearly abundant in quantity, and his plays have become easier to read due to footnotes and updated translations. Much of his work is relevant today, and it's highly recommended to explore it, perhaps giving one a different view of a situation, such as life itself. After all, reading Shakespeare can be revolutionary to some.