Discriminative And Sexist Things I'm Sick Of Hearing

3 Discriminative And Stereotypical Things I'm Sick Of Hearing As A Woman

Sexism or gender bias is real.

915

If you're a woman, you're a minority. Women are held at a different standard than men. Here are some stereotypical and arguably discriminative sayings women will probably hear throughout their lifetime.

​"Women can't drive or read directions."

There is an overwhelming amount of men who work in the car mechanics industry. As men are aware the car industry is dominated by their kind, it tends to make men think they have more knowledge and power than women with cars.

However, this does not make it right or any less discriminative to judge a woman on her driving skills solely based on her gender. Everyone is taught to read and drive, making any man or woman equally as capable of driving.

"You can’t let your facial, body, or pubic hair grow out."

During quarantine, I stopped shaving everything…for about a week. The pressure got to me to shave because of all the comments from male figures in my life. I can't let my mustache, also known as 'ladystache', grow out because "it's just not common for women to have hair on their face."

Well, if there's an issue for a woman to have hairy armpits, leg hair, chin hair, pubic hair, then why do we have it? Men shouldn't judge women for choosing to grow out their body hair. If there's an issue, men can take their complaints to whoever made women and decided to give us hair in all the places men think we need to shave every day.

“If all fails, marry someone rich.”

I'm currently a college student who is uncertain with my chosen career path. There are so many jobs with various opportunities, but I personally want a job that'll make an impact on the world.

There's at least one person who says, I can always marry someone rich who can support me financially, if my career doesn't work out. Of course you can always become a housewife and there's nothing wrong with it, if that's what you want. But it's not a standard that society or other people should set women to achieve.

Women are worthy and capable of having careers. We should inspire them to have a career in something they love; Not tell them that marrying someone rich is a career in itself. Depending on someone else to support you financially is not a secure livelihood. I wouldn't want any woman to feel they had to get married because they couldn't find a career path, which is how the statement comes across.

There are several other sayings that are stereotypical and discriminative towards women, but these are sayings I've heard from my personal encounters with people.

Please remember men are not superior over women. We can drive cars, grow out our hair, and find a career path without men leading our lives or saying stereotypical comments. Overall, respect that women tolerate this behavior from some men. And most importantly, support women.