'Sex Education' Season 2 Review

'Sex Education' Season 2 Review

The Netflix show just released the second season of 'Sex Education.'

9
Sam Taylor/Netflix

The new Netflix show 'Sex Education' just released it's new season, and it's a must-watch.

One of the first distinguishing features of the show was the 80's set-up, starting from the music down to the makeup and hairstyles. Set in England it follows Otis, a sixteen year old boy who starts giving out underground sex therapy to high schoolers. The main distinguishing characteristic of the show was it showing high-schoolers navigation into sex. The show was rated highly after the first season released on Netflix because of it's open and honest communication about sex. The second season was even more satisfying because of its character development.

This season took a step into many new topics and tackling high school tropes. Main character Otis is faced with determining what type of person he wants to be, which for a 16 year old boy is a hard subject. Throughout the season we see him struggle with not only having a girlfriend for the first time but dealing with his mother's relationship. He acts out and says many hurtful things and from the audience's perspective is just annoying but at the end of the season he has an awakening which also makes the audience realize he is only 16, after all. Teenagers are, in fact, frustrating. The greatest thing about this show is that it's made of its side characters. They're not just in the show for meaningless stories and to add to the main characters. I would argue that they're just as important as the side characters. We get more from Jackson's character and the immense pressure he faces from trying to be an all-star swim star.

The season tackles problems such as asexuality, a mediocre sexual health course, sexual assault, and coming out. We get introduced to new characters that are just as amazing. There are certain characters that have better stories this season and some characters that don't get the screen time the fans would've wanted. This season was not the season for Otis and Maeve, unfortunately, but slow burns end up being even more satisfying when it takes longer for them to get together. After seeing Maeve's struggle this season it's almost better nothing happens with her and Otis, she deserves a stable relationship with someone who realizes her unhealthy relationship with loneliness.

One of the best topics this season was through Aimee's character. After taking a sexual harassment lightly, Aimee realizes the severity of the situation. Her character deals with the repercussions of such situations, it becomes difficult for her to feel safe in public places. The show even talks about the fact that almost all of the girls have experienced one form or another of sexual harassment. Eric was another amazing character this season, his development in season one made all the difference for who he was this season. He was confident and even confronted Adam's bullying and how it affected him for so long. His new relationship with Rahim makes him realize what it's like to be an open relationship instead of someone who's ashamed to be with you. It's a relevant topic from all sides, Eric's love triangle with Rahim and Adam was one of the best things this season. Adam had a great awakening this season about not only his sexuality but the importance of being vulnerable. He realizes his feelings for Eric after his mother has a heart to heart with him.

"You have to let the people you love know that you love them, even if it causes you a great deal of pain." -"Why? It sounds awful." -"Because you're alive."

The cliff ender this season makes for an exciting season three, let's see where the characters of 'Sex Education' go through next year.