Spiritual Emphasis Week 2017

Spiritual Emphasis Week 2017

A week that brings us back to HIM

237
Spiritual Emphasis Week 2017
twitter

Each year, at Calvary Day School, the lower and upper school students participate in Spiritual Emphasis Week (SEW). This is a week that is dedicated to God and learning more about the Works he has done in our lives. For SEW 2017, Calvary's speaker is Chad Poe and music from Josh Blakesley Band. Once chapel is done, students depart into their small groups with a teacher and upper school student life leader to discuss what they have learned.

What is amazing about a small group is that everyone is able to open up and learn more about one another. The students come together to learn about Christ and pray for one another. It seems as if by the end of the week a small family has been created.

Day 1

The students learned about falling. Meaning that nobody is perfect and every single one of us have sinned and may have fallen out of God's direction. BUT, God will forgive us and he will love us unconditionally. No matter what happens, there is nothing that we can do that will cause Him to not love and care for us.

Day 2

The students learned about fighting. This topic lead to the word "love." That word in particular is overused and you may not even mean it when you say it. "I love these chips," no you do not! You enjoy them, but it does not equal love. Love is what God shows us and what we need to do for Him is repent. When we tell Him that we are sorry and ask for His forgiveness, then we will be overcome with joy and feel His love more than ever before.

Day 3

The students learned about giving up. This message was telling the students to give up things they have done that do not glorify God. God has His image imprinted on us, so we are called to reflect Him through our actions. If we are not glorifying God in all that we do, then we are not living up to what He had planned for us. Giving up actions, words, and activities may benefit us with a healthier spiritual relationship with the Father who love us unconditionally.

Day 4

The students learned about freeing. On this day, everybody also took communion. The freeing message related to communion due to how when taking communion, we are asking God to forgive us of our sins. When we eat the bread and drink the juice, we are being freed from our mistakes in hopes to start again in our journey with God.

Day 5

The students learned about going. This day focuses on what people will do after SEW. During the week most students experience, what is called to be, a "spiritual high." But now that it is over, what do they do now? This is when students make the decision to change their decisions and live a life that is dedicated to God.

Overall, what the students learn is that they call fall off of the path of God, but need to keep fighting and realize that God has a better plan for them. They cannot give up on Him and when they give themselves to Him, they will be freed. When they are freed they will be able to go on, knowing that God is there with them every step of the way.