Seven Reasons I Desperately Want To Travel

Going to Europe last year was the best 12 days of my life. Here is why I cannot wait to go again.

52

Going to France and Italy were experiences of a lifetime as a senior in high school, now however, I have the itch to go back, not only to go back but to spend a month backpacking across Europe. So mom, if you read this article, here are the reasons why I want to go (so I do not have to explain later).

1. The Beauty

I was discussing with my dad the other day the differences between Rome and New York City. In some ways they are very similar, they all have buildings, people who do not know how to drive, and pedestrians who will walk in front of cars, but they are also vastly different. No where in New York can you find stone buildings with years of history held inside, nor can you find the ruins of places that were built hundreds of years ago.

2. The Freedom

America was built on the fact that it is a place for the free however, I have never felt more free in my life than when I was traveling in Europe. Sure I had a set schedule to follow for when I had to be at specific tours, or when I had to go back to the hotel, but there was something about being in an unknown country not knowing anyone but a handful of about 20 people.

3. Fast Paced vs. Slow Paced

Sure I could go to the south and I would find mostly slow paced people wondering why I am moving so fast, but it just feels different in Europe, there is something about the way these people pay attention to details and they take the time to soak in beauty.

4. The People

One of the nights I was in Florence we visited this club/ bar. It was about five of us girls and lucky for us the menu was in English so we did not need a translator. The owner came up to us to take our drinks and when she realized we were American she began talking to us, within a few minutes she had explained how she had moved here from New York and opened this bar with her husband. The woman not only sat and talked with us for an hour, but she also gave us drinks on the house. Then, to make it even better, one of the girls had left a piece of art we had made earlier in the day in her seat. The lady went out of her way to make sure no one threw it out and gave it back once she saw us come back frantically. You do not find that in New Jersey.

5. The Experience

There is just something about being in a new country that gives you so much perspective. It makes you want to experience life and everything that it has to offer. Simply put I cannot even put it into words how it feels to be in a different country with completely different people who have completely different lifestyles.

6. Their Way of Living

Particularly while I was in Italy, I noticed that the people were very simple. They lived in simple houses and they owned their own very simple shops. They all seemed to know each other in the neighborhood and despite the fact that by American standards they did not have a lot, they were so happy. To them it was a simple lifestyle and friends and family that mattered the most, not who had the biggest house, or the best watch.

7. The Adventure

Going to a different country is just about as big of an adventure as you are going to find. Not only does it leave you with a serious case of wanderlust, but it is the chance of a lifetime. I highly suggest that everyone takes the time to travel.