The Seven Deadly Sins As Albums

The Seven Deadly Sins As Albums

Rock and roll is the Devil's music, and even the most innocent albums can be sinful.

317
The Seven Deadly Sins As Albums
Collage by Taylor Lane

The Seven Deadly Sins are recognized everywhere, and are very important to our Judeo-Christian ideas in western society. Many of them can be seen in music and other media we consume, and here are some examples of the sins in albums from every genre.

1. Wrath – "Straight Outta Compton" by N.W.A.

N.W.A.’s debut album is nothing short of a rage-filled, contemporary masterpiece detailing the lives of African Americans living in poverty and their unfair treatment by police officers. From racial profiling to gang violence, Ice Cube, Easy-E, Dr. Dre and MC Ren compiled their frustrations about a system that works against them, and compressed it into an album that has revolutionized civilian relations with the police, the acknowledgment of hoods and drug crime, and the power of music.

Although the anger expressed in this album is completely warranted, the brutal honesty and at times gruesome imagery depicted in this album can be overwhelming and difficult to listen to. Their most popular and controversial song on the album titled, “F**k the Police” states,

“Cause the police always got something stupid to say

They put out my picture with silence

Cause my identity by itself causes violence

The E with the criminal behavior

Yeah, I'm a gangsta, but still I got flavor

Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?

A sucker in a uniform waiting to get shot”

In a society that treats you like you are already guilty because of your skin color, it's easy to get angry about injustice. Even when your anger is warranted, this album should still be considered one of the angriest of all time.

2. Greed – "Electra Heart" by Marina and the Diamonds

Electra Heart is the type of girl who could bring "American Psycho’s" Patrick Bateman to shame with her eternal quest for power, fame, and success.

The album is centered around a fabricated character named Electra Heart, who according to creator and singer Marina Diamandis is "the antithesis of everything that I stand for. And the point of introducing her and building a whole concept around her is that she stands for the corrupt side of American ideology, and basically that's the corruption of yourself.”

The theme of greed is very prominent in “Teen Idle” in which she lists all the things she craves in life, but that eventually leads to her demise and the suicide of the character at the end of the album.

“Yeah, I wish I'd been, I wish I'd been, a teen, teen idle

Wish I'd been a prom queen, fighting for the title

Instead of being sixteen and burning up a bible

Feeling super, super, super suicidal”

She beats herself down for not achieving her ideas of “perfection”. Her ideas of what fame is really like, and her belief that her achievement of fame will make everything in her life perfect is extremely false. If only someone had told Electra that all the glitters are not gold… (sigh)

3. Lust – "Back in Black" by AC/DC

From “Let Me Put My Love Into You” to “You Shook Me All Night Long”, AC/DC shares their deep, sexual desires with the world in this legendary rock album that became one the greatest influences for heavy metal bands to come.

“She was a fast machine

She kept her motor clean

She was the best damn woman I had ever seen

She had the sightless eyes

Telling me no lies

Knockin' me out with those American thighs

Taking more than her share

Had me fighting for air

She told me to come but I was already there

'Cause the walls start shaking

The earth was quaking

My mind was aching

And we were making it and you”

Basically, if you were in AC/DC in 1980, you would probably bone anything that walks. This album alone created an entire generation of sexually frustrated teenage boys who couldn't understand why girls weren't dying to be with them, (surprise! It's because you currently have nothing to offer the world and you don't possess the vocal talent or charisma of Bon Scott!)

All in all, this album sums up the lustful, animalistic desires that we all have, and it only takes a few songs (and maybe a few drinks) to let our inner beast out!

4. Sloth – "Songs You Know By Heart" by Jimmy Buffet

From getting wasted away in Margaritaville to asking, “Why Don’t We Get A Drunk”, there has never been a lazier and more laid back album then this classic Jimmy Buffett album (but honestly, what would you expect from a man who is never seen without a Hawaiian shirt on?)

Songs You Know By Heart is all about the joys of vacation and relaxation. Even simple things like food (“Cheeseburger in Paradise”) should be enjoyed and treasured. Who cares if we become obese, spend all our money on overpriced resort drinks, or get gawked at for wearing parrots on our heads? Life is meant to be enjoyed, and being a little lazy at times won't kill ya (unless you’re a beach bum like Buffett who refuses to leave and looks like the kind of guy who hits on college girls on spring break who are way out of his league.)

Sure, the songs don't have the most complex, heart wrenching lyrics, but that isn't what Jimmy Buffett’s goal is. This album is a musical representation of the phrase, “Eat, Drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die” and we shouldn't look much more into what it means than what it presents itself as at face value.

5. Envy – "Melissa Etheridge" by Melissa Etheridge

“Somebody bring me some water

Can't you see I'm burning alive

Can't you see my baby's got another lover

I don't know how I'm gonna survive

Somebody bring me some water

Can't you see it's out of control

Baby's got my heart and my baby's got my mind

But tonight the sweet devil, the sweet devil's got my soul”

(“Bring Me Some Water”)

Everyone has felt envy about an ex lover, and no one can express those emotions in song better than Melissa Etheridge. Etheridge can't seem to handle the fact that the one she loves no longer loves her, and expresses her jealously in the most husky-voiced way possible. In her song “Like the Way I Do” she sings,

“Baby tell me does she love you like the way I love you

Does she stimulate you, attract and captivate you

Tell me does she miss you existing just to kiss you

Like the way I do”

This album single-handedly made her the most iconic rock lesbian in music history, and even the straightest of girls can't help but relate to her jealously-filled rock anthems.

6. Pride – "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke

“I hate these blurred lines!

I know you want it

I know you want it

I know you want it

But you're a good girl!

The way you grab me

Must wanna get nasty

Go ahead, get at me”

(“Blurred Lines”)

Ugh. Where do I even begin on this album? Robin Thicke is nothing but a pathetic loser riding on his daddy’s coattails who thinks he can get away with anything (including cheating on his wife, which he didn't get away with, thankfully.)

This album is a summary of Robin Thicke’s pathetic arrogance, entitlement, and overall douchebaggy-ness. All he sings about is women, fame, money, and his “success," and listening to it makes me want to cringe myself out of existence. I just… hate it. With a passion. I hate Robin Thicke, I hate the way he smokes will holding his children, I hate his stupid hair, and I especially hate the way he sings about his pathetic genetalia. That's all.

(As you can see by the above paragraph, I just displayed rage. Shame on me.)

7. Gluttony – "Let’s Eat!" by The Wiggles

Gluttony is defined by excess in eating, and no other album expresses that except for an album solely about the art of consumption. Whether they're hot potatoes or fruit salads, The Wiggles, who are basically The Beatles of children’s music, are encouraging the youth to sin by eating until their tiny little cholesterol-filled hearts give out on them. Michelle Obama would be ashamed.

Not only are The Wiggles encouraging this sinful behavior, but so is Keith Urban, who is featured on one of the songs! Keith freakin' Urban! The king of pop country himself! I would expect more from someone of his prestige.

How long have we let the Wiggle corrupt our children? Why do they want to see the destruction of healthy eating habits? Sure, they get a pass for making a song about fruit salad, but when the rest of the songs are about muffins and sugary waffles, no one bats an eye.

Anyways, I know this was sort of a joke album, but the future of our relationship with food depends on what we teach our children. So make sure to eat everything in moderation to make Jamie Oliver happy, alright kids?

We can all admit that music can be quite scandalous and discuss many controversial themes, but music without sin isn't music worth listening to. Everyone needs a balance of good and bad in their entertainment, and even the raciest of songs should be appreciated.