8 Ways To Set Yourself Up For A Successful Semester

6. Coffee is your friend, but so is water.

9
https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.3694931.1542021682!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg
Irish Times

Whether you're a freshman or a senior, the semester can sneak up on you quickly. Here are a few hacks to help you survive another semester.

1. Make "me time" a daily necessity.

When school is getting the best of you, it's easy to forget to stop taking care of yourself. Simple ways to make time for yourself can be going on a walk, sipping on a cup of tea while looking out the window for five seconds, or color in a mandala. Keeping your mental health a priority can help your grades, too.

2. Get to know your teachers.

After all, they're going to be very important in your lives the next couple of months. In high school, it was inventible to ignore your teacher because they truly knew you and wanted you to succeed. In college, that's not always the case. The classes are huge and often not so personal. Getting to know your professors sets up a platform for you to have conversations with them, get to know you, and want to see you do well.

3. Color coat your notebooks and folders.

I know this sounds extremely lame and sooo middle school, but it can actually make a huge difference in your organization skills. Having a set folder and notebook for each class makes a world of difference when you're sitting down getting ready to study for a final, especially an exam. The key here is to get organized from day one of the semester.

4. Set up appointments for tutoring.

Do any of us really enjoy admitting that we need help? Uh, no. It's human nature for us not to want to admit to needing a little extra help or practice with things we wish came easier to us. But in college, the classes are difficult. You're not going to get A's on every exam, and chances are, you won't understand all of the material. So, if you don't want to end up like me and have to take Chemistry two or three times, then I suggest taking the free tutoring services on campus seriously.

5. Create study groups.

Set up times to meet with your friends in the library or a local Starbucks to do homework. I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself to study or do work alone, and if you have good friends, they'll help hold you accountable. For instance, making sure you're not spending the whole time on your phone texting or on Instagram. Or you can make a study group with the people in your class to study for an upcoming exam or just do homework together. Strength in numbers, people.

This goes back to self-care, but coffee plays a huge role in how successful I am in my 8 A.M. classes, but also my night classes. A huge part of paying attention for me is being awake, which is why coffee is a necessity for me. But don't drink so much coffee that you're turning into a basketcase. Water is just as important because it fuels your cells and nourishes your body.

7. All-nighters are okay, but not every night.

There is a time and a place for all-nighters. For example, the night before an exam or finals, when you have a huge project due the next day or you had to read an entire book; but don't make all-nighters a habit. It's extremely unhealthy and up doing more harm than good in the long run. Don't use these as an excuse to put off all your homework for the night before. They should be used sparingly.

8. Prioritize.

We all want to go out with our friends, let loose, and meet new people, but you have to know when you deserve to play after all your hard work. Don't go out every weekend because you feel like you should or that you can now that you're away from home. Save going out for times after a really hard exam, or a project... things that were mentally and emotionally draining that deserve a payoff. Be the person who can go out occasionally and still have killer grades.